Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vltor CASV-EL top rail?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Vltor CASV-EL top rail?

Hi everyone,

This may very well be a stupid question. Is the top rail of the CASV-EL permanent? Can it be removed so that it does not raise my sights? Could you run it without the top rail or is that how the rail attaches to the gun at the rear?

I ask bc I have a T1 in a Larue Tall mount and do not want to change that setup. The top rail of the CASV-EL would change it.

Is it possible to remove the thick top rail and then just add a regular thickness rail on the top of the CASV-EL. I do not care about losing the monolithic aspects of the rail. I just do not want to change my sights height. Maybe this is the wrong rail for me if I cant do this...

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    -B
    Its not the arrow, its the Indian...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    it's a no-go. that's how it attaches to the weapon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thats what I figured. Darn.

Thanks for the help.
    -B
    Its not the arrow, its the Indian...

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but is the top rail removable?

i am asking because i have a CASV-ELT on the way that i bought cheap...only problem is, i want it in black and i have plans on painting it.

i think i would do a much better job if i can remove the rail and just powder coat the hand guard.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PCFIVEZ View Post
    sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but is the top rail removable?

i am asking because i have a CASV-ELT on the way that i bought cheap...only problem is, i want it in black and i have plans on painting it.

i think i would do a much better job if i can remove the rail and just powder coat the hand guard.

I don't get it.

You went through all the trouble of hunting down a thread relevant to your question, from three plus years ago, and rather than read it or try to understand it (or even how the VLTOR CASVs work in general), you blindly post a question that has already been answered both in text and visually?
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-20-13 at 01:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I don't get it.

You went through all the trouble of hunting down a thread relevant to your question, from three plus years ago, and rather than read it or try to understand it (or even how the VLTOR CASVs work in general), you blindly post a question that has already been answered both in text and visually?
    the original question asked whether or not the top rail can be removed permanently. he wanted to run the CASV without the raised, thicker rail.

the only answer i saw was "NO GO, because the top rail is how it attaches" that is vague enough to take it as that one cannot PERMANENTLY remove the thick top rail just to run a smaller rail. it will obviously NOT work as you need that thicker top rail to mount the friggin thing.

i want to temporarily remove the top rail from the metal hand guards and then re-install it after painting. i do not want to PERMANENTLY remove the top rail.

NOW, TO MAKE THINGS A BIT CLEARER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT COMPREHEND, CAN I TEMPORARILY REMOVE THE TOP RAIL IN ORDER TO PAINT THE HANDGUARDS?
    Last edited by PCFIVEZ; 07-20-13 at 02:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why would you need to remove it to begin with? Just tape off the support/main rail section and paint away...

At any rate, look at the CASV, there are two screws (hex if memory serves) holding the top half of the guard body to the rail mount. If you can unscrew them, you should be able to remove the top half of the guard body.

I have not attempted this with my CASV-S so I have no idea as to the difficulty of doing so (if there's thread locker on the screws for instance) or if the screws can even be unscrewed to begin with.

Personally, I would simply tape/paint around it rather than mess with it to begin with, but it's your rail so do what you want.

Feedback Score
    The top rail is, in theory, removable... but not practically so.

The rail and hand guard sections are riveted together, so while you could get them apart and put them back together, it would be more work and investment in machinery than it is worth.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not a mechanical engineer, but a friend of mine who is believes taking the rivets off and riveting the pieces back together again risks compromising its structural integrity (i.e. looser fit, damaging the rivet holes, etc.) if not done properly. May not be worth the risk and headache. I'd tape off the sections/areas I wouldn't want painted.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast