Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taming the 10.5

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Taming the 10.5

Probably not your most favored option, but I’d pull the barrel and buy a BA Hanson 10.3. Then you don’t have to introduce any specialty parts to make it run the way you want it to.

My BA Hanson 10.3 is a stupid smooth shooting AR, and is my favorite rifle to shoot. The recoil impulse is smoother than my DD 12.5 and my 11.5. (RIP). I’ve built a lot of AR’s since the 10.3, i.e. DD barreled builds, Centurion Arms 12.5, Noveske builds and it is STILL my best running short barrel AR. Hands down.

Like the rest of my builds it has a normal plain Jane BA 750 lo-pro gas block (non-adjustable of course) and a normal nitride gas tube. Not trying to knock the other solutions presented, but if I can run a standard GB and standard gas tube, and have 100% functionality and a good shooting weapon -that’s my preference. Following the KISS principle. And if I need to swap a gas tube I can grab one of 10 in my parts bin that I paid $13 bucks for. Best of all it’s just a butter smooth shooter. Even with a Troy PDW stock and proprietary buffer and spring that certainly isn’t designed for comfort but portability/maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 06-02-19 at 22:35.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post

My BA Hanson 10.3 is a stupid smooth shooting AR, and is my favorite rifle to shoot. The recoil impulse is smoother than my DD 12.5 and my 11.5. (RIP). I’ve built a lot of AR’s since the 10.3, i.e. DD barreled builds, Centurion Arms 12.5, Noveske builds and it is STILL my best running short barrel AR. Hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This post is encouraging, I have an 11.3 Hanson en route and need to wait all week before I can take it to the range. It's also my first pistol build and I am really looking forward to wringing it out.

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is great advice to replace the barrel with a properly ported one.

We have several great barrel options for that.

Most people tend to try and fix what they have, even if a swap is better and less costly in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Probably not your most favored option, but I’d pull the barrel and buy a BA Hanson 10.3. Then you don’t have to introduce any specialty parts to make it run the way you want it to.

Like the rest of my builds it has a normal plain Jane BA 750 lo-pro gas block (non-adjustable of course) and a normal nitride gas tube. Not trying to knock the other solutions presented, but if I can run a standard GB and standard gas tube, and have 100% functionality and a good shooting weapon -that’s my preference. Following the KISS principle. And if I need to swap a gas tube I can grab one of 10 in my parts bin that I paid $13 bucks for.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    PSA Blast Can. It's a blast forward device. Not flash hiding, nor compensating. ETA: It's not a krink, if people wanted to think that maybe it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve just been filling out the form, and getting whatever BRT sends, with good results. What muzzle device is that?

OP, since you asked, SLR Rifleworks and Odin Works probably make the best, most reliable AGB's. There are others, I'm sure, but I've had great experiences with both.
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 06-03-19 at 09:19. Reason: ETA: Krink

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Hey AR enthusiast.

I have 500 rounds and multiple range sessions on my PSA 10.5 build now, and have some brief observations. When shooting both from the bench for precision, or when running it as fast as possible; I have noticed the 10.5 is much more of a jack hammer than my mid length guns. I dont neccesairly believe the gun is over gassed though. It ejects really consistantly to the 3 O clock, and even has an H2 buffer with milspec spring. I could pull the gas block and measure the gas port to see if that really is the issue, but I just dont feel like it is. Am I just noticing the difference between carbine and mid length gas systems?

It appears that I have 3 different hardware approachs to this problem:

1. A5 buffer system. ~$100 I feel like this is the easiest approach?
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...ediate-shk.htm

2. Adjustable Gas BCG. ~$180 More expensive but also doesnt sound too bad. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-...table-carrier/

3. Adjustable Gas block. ~$60-$100. This is the solution I dont really like. For some reason I just see it as the most unreliable way to fix a problem. Let me know if you have an adjustable gas block that has been rock solid.

Or let me know if I should just rock on, and let the little gun be a BLASTER.
    Every PSA upper and barrel I've messed with have been overgassed. I'd suggest throwing an A5 system on there. My Nephew has a 10.5 PSA pistol, it came with a low quality spring and standard carbine buffer. It was the most awful shooting AR I've ever used. He didn't have the money for an A5 setup so he bought a Sprinco Blue spring and I gave him an H2 buffer to calm it down. I haven't shot it yet since the change up, but he tells me it's much better now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Taming a gun like this is only accomplished by gas regulation. I'm not one for ditching a barrel that shoots accurately enough. I've not yet tried a BRT gas tube, but I'm interested in the idea.

I have zero interest in a BGG that attempts to address the issue. It's simply addressing the problem in the wrong part of the gun in my humble opinion.

If it's not a fixed front sight base gun, the AGB is the most bang for the buck for sure. You WILL get results.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    In my limited experience, short barrels have always had more recoil than 14.5"-16" carbine, and mid length.

For example a stock 14.5" SR-15 mod 2 is easier to shoot than a correctly ported 10.3" DDMK18 rifle with a A5 system. I want to say that the upper seems to be working, but ejection pattern isn't the best indicator of performance.

I want to mirror what other people have stated for improving recoil.
    1. Tackling gas.
    2. A5 system
    Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 06-04-19 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    I have a newer DD MK18, H2 buffer and a Tubbs spring. Smoothest AR in my safe. It runs 556, pmc bronze and steel cased. Smoother than my BCM and DD middies. All have upgraded buffers and springs too. Also have a Sionics ergp that I have been running without a suppressor, so it’s undergassed, and it is no smoother than the 10.5 carbine.

Get the gas dialed in and then move onto the buffer system. You’ll appreciate it. That 10.5 can run butter smooth and be reliable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by me2hootyhoo View Post

Get the gas dialed in and then move onto the buffer system. You’ll appreciate it. That 10.5 can run butter smooth and be reliable.
    I really appreciate all the replies similar to this one, because at one point I thought: "Maybe a 10.5 is just a bear to shoot".

I forgot to mention that the build came with a 6061 buffer tube, weak spring and carbine buffer. I was planning on replacing all of this anyways because its not "per the chart". A decent buffer tube set will typically run me $80, and the A5 for an extra $25 seems like a no brainer. Also Im gonna order a drilled gas tube from BRT. I'll let yall know how much it tames down the gun, and then hopefully next time I get out to the range I'll have a better shooting rest for groups.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My 10.5 noveske rides a h2 springco... and a gemtech suppressed bolt.

With my can on it.

It's been awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast