Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taming the 10.5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Probably not your most favored option, but I’d pull the barrel and buy a BA Hanson 10.3. Then you don’t have to introduce any specialty parts to make it run the way you want it to.

My BA Hanson 10.3 is a stupid smooth shooting AR, and is my favorite rifle to shoot. The recoil impulse is smoother than my DD 12.5 and my 11.5. (RIP). I’ve built a lot of AR’s since the 10.3, i.e. DD barreled builds, Centurion Arms 12.5, Noveske builds and it is STILL my best running short barrel AR. Hands down.

Like the rest of my builds it has a normal plain Jane BA 750 lo-pro gas block (non-adjustable of course) and a normal nitride gas tube. Not trying to knock the other solutions presented, but if I can run a standard GB and standard gas tube, and have 100% functionality and a good shooting weapon -that’s my preference. Following the KISS principle. And if I need to swap a gas tube I can grab one of 10 in my parts bin that I paid $13 bucks for. Best of all it’s just a butter smooth shooter. Even with a Troy PDW stock and proprietary buffer and spring that certainly isn’t designed for comfort but portability/maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any idea what size the gas port is on your BA Hanson 10.3?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    FWIW, I was exploring a shortie awhile back and Kyle at BA told me their 10.3" ports are .0785 and the 11.5" is .073. Both carbine gas. Just in case that helps, kinda glad I actually wrote it down.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    LOL, so replace the barrel, the BCG, the buffer system, gas tube. Don't forget the lipstick for that pig.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I (my wife) have a PSA 10.5. I don't consider it over gassed. It has had zero malfs but we only have about 500-750 rounds through it. It has a high quality BCG and FCG. It runs really well on most ammo I have tried with it. It runs the smoothest with H322 pushing 68bthps. I dunno if it is the faster powder causing a quicker pressure spike that is tapering off by the time the bullet gets to the gas port or what. It has a standard action spring and an H2 buffer.

Now my Aero build with a 14.7 Ballistic Advantage barrel...that guy seems over gassed. I am running a Blue SpringCo and an H2. About 5000-6000 rounds, about 3000 from thousand round courses, through this one and no rifle related malfs.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I can see if I have a drill bit to size it with because .078 seems to be huge. My DD 12.5 is gassier than my 10.3, that’s not a very technical explanation, but definitely my observation.h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    LOL, so replace the barrel, the BCG, the buffer system, gas tube. Don't forget the lipstick for that pig.
    I get it; its cool to troll on the cheap $h1t. Again, not my first AR, nor my first car. This is still a fun kit gun well underneath the 1K mark. I have MULTIPLE proven systems sitting in the safe. If I add a A5 + BRT gas tube thats only $150 into a $500 gun. Let's say I add a larue trigger thats also the new hotness on this forum. Still under 1k. Infact let me itemize my build, just for you:

PSA Build kit (upper, LPK & SBA3 brace)- $450
    New Charging handle- $25
    cotter pin- $2
    BRT gas tube- $55 (just bought)
    Lower- $55
    BCM A5- $100 (havent purchased)
    Larue MBT2s trigger- $90 (havent purchased)

All of this totals out too..... $777... Im more than satisfied with this purchase.

Feedback Score
    I've got a 10.5 PSA I need to tame. I put a Warcomp on it recently. I was going to anyway as I want all my ARs to have it so my future cans will all mount up. I also will be trying a Springco spring and hydraulic buffer I have left over from when I had a 7" pistol a few years back. They tamed that thing well. The 10.5" PSA actually shoots real well, it just has a sharper recoil punch than what my other ARs have. Snappy as it is, it's not un-manageable. I wouldn't be above putting some more money like the A5 system into it. I'd love the BA Hanson 10.3, but I want to keep the fixed front sight, and bayonet lug for this one.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
    FWIW, I was exploring a shortie awhile back and Kyle at BA told me their 10.3" ports are .0785 and the 11.5" is .073. Both carbine gas. Just in case that helps, kinda glad I actually wrote it down.

Thats way to gassy.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    10.3/10.5" MK18 is .071 inches, 11.5” Carbine length gas .076 +/- .001 is what I have in my notes.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-06-19 at 11:47.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So today I got my BRT gas tube in the mail.

When I ordered it; I choose to let BRT spec the gas port size based on my inputs of: 10.5" barrel, carbine gas, brass 556- steel 223, milspec BCG and carbine H2 buffer. The tube they sent me is marked 073 in paint pen. Pulling out the cheap dial calipers it consistantly measured 0.0715". They definetly chose to go a little looser than the crane spec, but it should function no matter what, given the steel case ammo I spec'd in the diet. I'm excited to instal in my gun later this month. I'll post about my results.

Also have a larue MBT2s on the way. Really excited to compare that against my G2S.

EDIT: I just measured my PSA FN CHF 16" mid length and it hit between 0.074 - 0.076. Seems to be on the mild side, and certainly not OVERGASSED. I just thought this was good to confirm that PSA doesnt 'mess up the specs' when they get barrels contracted from FN.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 06-07-19 at 19:04.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast