Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Taming the 10.5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So today I got my BRT gas tube in the mail.

When I ordered it; I choose to let BRT spec the gas port size based on my inputs of: 10.5" barrel, carbine gas, brass 556- steel 223, milspec BCG and carbine H2 buffer. The tube they sent me is marked 073 in paint pen. Pulling out the cheap dial calipers it consistantly measured 0.0715". They definetly chose to go a little looser than the crane spec, but it should function no matter what, given the steel case ammo I spec'd in the diet. I'm excited to instal in my gun later this month. I'll post about my results.

Also have a larue MBT2s on the way. Really excited to compare that against my G2S.

EDIT: I just measured my PSA FN CHF 16" mid length and it hit between 0.074 - 0.076. Seems to be on the mild side, and certainly not OVERGASSED. I just thought this was good to confirm that PSA doesnt 'mess up the specs' when they get barrels contracted from FN.
    Makes sense that they sent the size the did. Crane spec is based for the military that uses full power brass cased .556. the steel 223 would def need a little more gas. That size should work well with both

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The EZTUNE tubes sizes are one step larger than the barrel port to get the same gas drive.

The tube is 073 when measured with a pin Gage.

So the 073 tube is equivalent to an 071 barrel port, which is right on Crane spec and a good level of Gas Drive.

Let us know how it goes.

So today I got my BRT gas tube in the mail.

When I ordered it; I choose to let BRT spec the gas port size based on my inputs of: 10.5" barrel, carbine gas, brass 556- steel 223, milspec BCG and carbine H2 buffer. The tube they sent me is marked 073 in paint pen. Pulling out the cheap dial calipers it consistantly measured 0.0715". They definitely chose to go a little looser than the crane spec, but it should function no matter what, given the steel case ammo I spec'd in the diet. I'm excited to install in my gun later this month. I'll post about my results.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    edited
    Last edited by turnburglar; 06-07-19 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Oh shit a real man just jumped into the gun forum.

Honestly bro, I used to time a M2 every night before going out on patrol. I have enough titanium in my back from IED's, that I dont ever pull my man card, anywhere. They know me by name. I've worked with ALOT of guns bigger than 556. You missed the point of this thread completly. Im sure you'r time on this forum will be short.
    Wrong thread or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Wrong thread or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    about 9 other posts where deleted that was a response too.

Feedback Score
    I’m running the voltor a5 with the standard included buffer and a green sprinco. Also ring a surefire warcomp out front. Runs and feels great.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Was wondering how long until the port in these gas tubes start to open up from use if at all?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 81mmcat View Post
    Was wondering how long until the port in these gas tubes start to open up from use if at all?
    We've got an informal endurance test going on a 10.3" carbine.

Its currently over 2500 rounds with no detectable change in port size.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I really appreciate all the replies similar to this one, because at one point I thought: "Maybe a 10.5 is just a bear to shoot".

I forgot to mention that the build came with a 6061 buffer tube, weak spring and carbine buffer. I was planning on replacing all of this anyways because its not "per the chart". A decent buffer tube set will typically run me $80, and the A5 for an extra $25 seems like a no brainer. Also Im gonna order a drilled gas tube from BRT. I'll let yall know how much it tames down the gun, and then hopefully next time I get out to the range I'll have a better shooting rest for groups.
    according to the PSA reps they don't send 6061 tubes anymore and haven't for several years. Finish may not have the dry film lube on the inside depending on which supplier they use for that batch, but supposedly they're all 7075 (I can confirm the lack of grey dry lube on the inside not meaning 6061. Aero precision tubes don't come with it and are jet black inside. Same with Right to Bear Arms and Damage Industries 7075 tubes)

someone just asked that question about 6061 vs. 7075 yesterday on Arf and Josiah the rep confirmed that no 6061 are used anymore either

as for the A5... did you switch over to that yet? I'm interested in trying one out sometimes as I've stuck to plain jane old carbine extensions my whole life and am curious how they feel on a pistol build like that
    Last edited by msedward43; 07-09-19 at 02:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msedward43 View Post
    according to the PSA reps they don't send 6061 tubes anymore and haven't for several years. Finish may not have the dry film lube on the inside depending on which supplier they us for that batch, but supposedly they're all 7075 (I can confirm the lack of grey dry lube on the inside not meaning 6061. Aero precision tubes don't come with it and are jet black inside. Same with Right to Bear Arms and Damage Industries 7075 tubes)

someone just asked that question about 6061 vs. 7075 yesterday on Arf and Josiah the rep confirmed that no 6061 are used anymore either

as for the A5... did you switch over to that yet? I'm interested in trying one out sometimes as I've stuck to plain jane old carbine extensions my whole life and am curious how they feel on a pistol build like that
    Hey, great post! I have no way of actually testing the tube to verify that it is 7075 vs 6061, I just assumed that these budget builds had the cheap stuff. If what you say is true then I might have saved some cash, as I wouldnt need a new buffer tube or even buffer at this point.

I havent tried the A5 system yet. I am in the middle of a move and reno, but was fortunate enough to find time to install my BRT gas tube and test function. With a H2 buffer the BRT gas tube seems to have helped smoothed the gun out abit. Still not like my mid length's, (some comped) but that's to be expected. The BRT tube cycled and locked back on steel cased, my 77gr reloads and hornady frontier 556. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, but still feel the gun would benefit from a A5 and comp if ultimate smoothness is what I am chasing. In reality I hate comps, and probably wont do the A5 anymore if my buffer tube is durable enough. I'll just shoot it till it's hot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast