Thread: PMC brass?

Feedback Score

PMC brass?

Has anyone reloaded PMC once-fired brass through a Dillon RL550B? I ask because I am trying to and I am having a helluva time seating CCI primers. My conclusion is PMC brass has super small primer cups because I cannot get CCI primers to seat in this brass like they should. I find it hard to believe that CCI primers are larger in diameter than other primer brands. It must be the PMC once-fired brass. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by POF.Ops View Post
    Has anyone reloaded PMC once-fired brass through a Dillon RL550B? I ask because I am trying to and I am having a helluva time seating CCI primers. My conclusion is PMC brass has super small primer cups because I cannot get CCI primers to seat in this brass like they should. I find it hard to believe that CCI primers are larger in diameter than other primer brands. It must be the PMC once-fired brass. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
    While I generally have not had too many issues with CCI primers, they are known to be more finicky with the Dillon press (this is from memory of past discussions etc -- don't remember the details). Here is something I found through Google -- it may or may not be useful

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-114397.html
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The last time I used PMC brass it had crimped primers. Maybe you need to remove the crimp.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Removing the crimp goes a long way in getting new primers to seat!

Don't feel bad. When I first started loading rifle many years back. I didn't even know of crimped primer pockets. At that time, almost no brass you would find had them. Now almost all brass had the crimp on it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Removing the crimp goes a long way in getting new primers to seat!
    Oh yea! Remember the first time I reloaded 5.56...

That said I use a 1050(built in primer "decrimper") and no issues with CCI 400 primers

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. You guys are definitely onto something. As demigod points out back in the day US brass didn't have crimped primer pockets. Oh joy, another two steps in the .223 reloading process... Size/decap and then swage.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Try the Hornady pocket reamer. You can get one for under $20 at midwayusa. The bit can be chucked in a drill for large amounts of brass, but it comes with a handle for little jobs.

This is a cool little must have even if you like that swaging thing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're not alone.
    Even after I decrimp, I cannot get a primer in the pocket. I think PMC has small primer pockets.