Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Record number of Americans behind on auto loans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Diesels are the way to go

It’s just all the emission bullshit that ruins them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current modern Diesel engines are a joke for the vast majority of buyers. They offer almost no economic advantage. For example:

https://youtu.be/T728x3Gkg98

Wow, 9,000 lb trailer and the difference in fuel mileage between a 1/2 ton with a gas V8 and a 3/4 ton with a turbo diesel is about .5 MPG. What a joke. If both fuels are $3.00/gallon that extra $9,000 for the diesel will be paid for in only around 450,000 miles given a $.02/mile operating cost advantage for the diesel. Well factor in the more expensive maintenance and DEF and it’s probably more expensive to run the diesel per mile. LOL. Stupid bro-dozers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by AKDoug; 06-24-19 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Current modern Diesel engines are a joke for the vast majority of buyers. They offer almost no economic advantage. For example:

https://youtu.be/T728x3Gkg98

Wow, 9,000 lb trailer and the difference in fuel mileage between a 1/2 ton with a gas V8 and a 3/4 ton with a turbo diesel is about .5 MPG. What a joke. If both fuels are $3.00/gallon that extra $9,000 for the diesel will be paid for in only around 450,000 miles given a $.02/mile operating cost advantage for the diesel. Well factor in the more expensive maintenance and DEF and it’s probably more expensive to run the diesel per mile. LOL. Stupid bro-dozers.
    Sure,
    But having massive diesel torque at cruising RPMs towing serious weight through the mountains is very different than a similar HP, but much less torque, especially at cruising RPMs in a gas engine is very different, even if the MPG is similar.

Two things about trucks both bemuse and piss me off at the same time.

Watching dipshits in their half ton trucks towing far more than they should be safely.
    Watching dipshits in their 3/4 ton diesels and often dualies towing a few thousand pounds of boat or their landscaping trailer.
    It’s like half the guys are taking a 9mm grizzly hunting, and the other half are taking a .338 whitetail hunting.

I kind of wish their was a good 2/3 ton option.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    The Nissan Titan HD sort of fits that bill, but reviews of the truck are decidedly mixed.

As far as the advantage in power at lower engine operating speeds that a diesel enjoys for pulling serious weight on grades, I don’t deny there is an advantage. However, for most users a realistic analysis of what they use the vehicle for, even when they are towing, would show the diesel to be an illogical choice for the vast majority of buyers. Fact is the vast majority of pickups are not used a majority of the time pulling or hauling loads.

Just once I’d like to hear a buyer of one of the trucks just admit they bought the big stick diesel because they wanted it, even though they know it holds few real world daily operating advantages. Instead I invariably get to listen to some colleague of mine extolling the virtues of his new bro-dozer and how well it pulls his fishing boat the 4 times a year he gets to the lake that is 15 miles away, and how he needs the diesel to accomplish that task. Between the cost of the truck and the boat, it seems like very expensive fish to me.

Realistically I have no real need for a 6.2L V8 powered sedan. There is nowhere I can legally exploit the 415hp and 160+ mph top speed in this country. I don’t need that much power to pass other traffic safely, or to merge on the highway. That said I bought one anyway because I wanted it, and I enjoy it. I will not make up bullshit justifications for buying it though.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 06-24-19 at 03:54.

Feedback Score
    I love this article from Mr. Money Mustache on trucks:
    https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...say-about-you/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post
    I love this article from Mr. Money Mustache on trucks:
    https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...say-about-you/
    This article says a lot for the current generation and the love of the truck. A lot of foolish money is spent on trucks which could be spent better. I’ve always owned trucks and they rarely get used to their full potential. Currently I’m driving a F250 which is 12 years old. It was purchased used due to having access to a 5th wheel camper and the F150 made me uncomfortable. Also my children outgrew the half cab. I don’t trade vehicles every few years but drive them for ten or more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That’s what is great about this country. Just like the other thread about gun companies marketing to posers, buying whatever car or truck or gun you want regardless of how you are going to use it is your business. Go for it and enjoy it. Just don’t expect anyone else to bail you out if you get in over your head financially.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I put my ‘12 Ram 3500 CTD SRW CCSB 4x4 to good use towing my travel trailer. Otherwise, I have a fifteen year old sedan that I’m perfectly happy driving around town most days. No car payments, paid my truck and my wife’s car off before retiring. Working towards being debt free (better late than never).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    So, don't buy a $50,000 pickup truck on Wal-Mart wages?

"A record 7 million Americans are 90 days or more behind on their auto loan payments, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York reported Tuesday, even more than during the wake of the financial crisis.

Economists warn that this is a red flag. Despite the strong economy and low unemployment rate, many Americans are struggling to pay their bills."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.8c52b45bbe32
    It's a sign that while unemplyment is low, a fair number of those jobs are probably shitty-low wage positions or "gig" jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast