Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Record number of Americans behind on auto loans

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Ironically, my 1999 K2500 with a 7.4 L V8 gets around 12 MPG pulling a loaded double axle enclosed cargo trailer down the highway (but maybe 13 MPG empty) and doesn't shift down 2 or 3 times to climb a hill.

It has been replaced by a 2018 K1500 with a 5.3 L V8 because it gets 20 MPG city/hwy and up to 26 MPG on the highway plus I just didn't need a 3/4 truck.

I will probably make my payments though...

Andy

Feedback Score
    The emission control gear on newer Diesel engines will absolutely shorten the service life. Not necessarily the service life of the engine, but of the truck. Expensive repairs to keep the vehicle as a whole on the road will accelerate the scrapping/retirement of the vehicle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The emission control gear on newer Diesel engines will absolutely shorten the service life. Not necessarily the service life of the engine, but of the truck. Expensive repairs to keep the vehicle as a whole on the road will accelerate the scrapping/retirement of the vehicle.
    I've owned 8 diesels over a couple of decades. Still have/use 3. Of them, one had EGR stuff that was badly done and clearly shortened the service life. (2005 Jeep Liberty. Core engine/drivetrain was good. But EPA implementation was very bad)

I've specifically dodged particulate filters and diesel fluid, but what diesel mechanics tell me that if you don't hold off/bypass the purge cycles, they are not mtc issues. (this most recently on tractors, yes, they have to have them as well if over 25hp).

It's like a catalytic converter... early on was stupid expensive to replace. Over time, has become less of an issue, cheaper. I suspect DPF's will never be as cheap as cat's, but I've not known anyone who had to replace one. Maybe it happens, but I don't hear epidemics.

I still don't want them, but they don't shorten the life of the engine.

Core points on the stupidly high diesel truck prices ($60-70k) I see at dealers now are valid. They may be a fading breed.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, small diesels are the norm. I've driven some in Europe that I would not have guessed were diesel unless I knew what to look for. But drove like gassers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Absolutely. Owners of fleets bigger than mine have far bigger headaches with that type of maintenance than I do. For some reason, fleets up here are still buying diesels. One outfit doing work near me bought 85 new Ford diesels. I have an advantage of being a small operator and nobody checks emissions up here, so DPF deletes are pretty common even among small commercial operators.

Feedback Score
    Modern engines of gas or diesel type that are well made seem to last roughly forever if they’re well made. I think there are now 2 Toyota Tundras used for oil field hot shot delivery that have logged 1 million miles on the original engines. More often than not the parts that fail on a vehicle causing retirement/scrapping are not engines. A gasoline or Diesel engine that sees regular oil changes, filter changes, and other periodic maintenance and isn’t abused is going to run way past the vehicle it’s powering. The damn things just don’t wear down internally like they used to, between metallurgy improvements, lubricant improvements, and computer aided design along with more rigorous manufacture testing it’s super rare to hear about a catastrophic failure in any internal combustion engine.

Feedback Score
    Looks like electric is the way of the future but it'll be some time before that technology replaces all internal combustion engines.

Feedback Score
    Lol. I buy “cheap” vehicles cash (entry-level luxuty cars with relatively high milage). Id rather spend money on stuff I enjoy.
    Im a millenial, but its probably millenials.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-05-19 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Diesels are the way to go

It’s just all the emission bullshit that ruins them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    40 years of flat wages while the 0.1% garner nearly all the gains in productivity results in full employment and workers just barely getting by.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess this is the wrong thread for my $92k Ford F350 Limited. :-(

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast