Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Still a few God fearing 1911 guys in the military!

Feedback Score
    Nice SAM,I think LAV knows what he s doing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When at my first duty station, I was issued a rattletrap 1911 that had probably last been rebuilt in the 1950s. It was a travesty of a firearm and. I was quite satisfied when we were given the M9. Despite this, I have a nostalgic fondness for the 1911. I have since become acquainted with what a properly built 1911 is capable of. I would happily carry my own 1911 in theater if the Army would allow me. I'm happy to see that some still hold the 1911 in some regard and are willing to carry it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    1911's are as beautiful, well-crafted, effective, and as appropriate for the modern battlefield as a katana.
    They are our katana.

The 1911 is unique to our culture, our heritage, to our way of life more than any other weapon.

RR77

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I never was a 1911 fan until recently...after buying my first one I now understand the appeal of them and why some folks choose them..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcante262 View Post
    Nice SAM,I think LAV knows what he s doing.

You mean the same LAV who said that he loves the 1911, but if he's going into combat then he's carrying a Glock? The same LAV who wrote an article on the "caliber war" and announced the 9mm as the winner?
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Larry lost a bunch of weight, he can’t handle the recoil anymore.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    They make 1911s in 9mm.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That’s like a v6 mustang. Faster than you think, but nah.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Apart from Clint Smith, I can't think of too many other serious 1911 guys who put most of their rounds through a 1911 in 45, any more. Almost all of them are running 9mm, even if only in training.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    You mean the same LAV who said that he loves the 1911, but if he's going into combat then he's carrying a Glock? The same LAV who wrote an article on the "caliber war" and announced the 9mm as the winner?
    The thing about a 1911 is that you can love it. Just like you can love a 70 Challenger.
    And you can Have that 70 in perfect running condition and tune and everything working fantastic, and take it out for a great drive and all is right with the world. Just like you could take your 1911 to a match or a single objective.

But, then you start using the 70 Challenger as a daily driver. The wipers quit working. You replace the motor. A week later the washer pump on the new motor quits. Then your backup light goes out. You replace the bulb. Still no backup light. You replace the backup light switch, now it works. A week later your back up light is always on. You replace the switch again. Your 440 and carb are averaging 11 miles per gallon. You have no AC. Your player keeps eating 8 tracks. Your perfectly adjusted carb now has you feathering the gas pedal to keep it running at start up until it is warmed up. Your starter quits. You replace it. It won’t start. There is a drain on the battery somewhere when it is parked and not running. Your headlights are dim. You wire in a relay. Still not much better.

Just like a 1911 being carried for months of deployments with dozens of objectives and range trips. It becomes very maintenance intensive.

So you get a new Challenger RT.
    It holds more, has AC, everything works, nothing’s keeps needing to be fixed, it handles better, brakes better, gets more MPG. Just like a Glock holds more, works, and needs less maintenance.

Sure, you miss the loud roar as you floor the gas pedal and almost 500 ft lbs of torque throw you back in your seat.
    But now matter how good you were with your 70, every course you drive with the new challenger you run faster.

While I have, and have huge respect for men on target with a Randall one one hip, a metal pistol on the other, and a Rolex on their wrist-
    The time has come where it is an affectation.
    A perfectly functional and useable affectation,
    But a Glock, hockey puck goes/altimeter/compass/barometer/ watch, and a smaller, lest costly benchmade or kabar are going to get the job done with less cost and less hassle.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast