Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Still a few God fearing 1911 guys in the military!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Stay on topic or your post will go away.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    That’s like a v6 mustang. Faster than you think, but nah.
    On the subject of my last post:

Ken Hackathorn. Lightweight 1911 Commander. 9mm.

"So you guys with the world's finest close quarters combat weapon - the 1911 45-caliber pistol - are good to go."
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Last class I was in Ken liked 9mm for practice because he shot out his elbows with magnums. He said he was still carrying .45 for self defense.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Being Ken Hackathorn, no doubt training with a different round than he carries is not a problem--pretty sure he can transition easily between them and shoot the .45 like a god. For myself, it always temporarily throws me off when I switch between shooting my 9mm and .45 1911's, both the amount and type of recoil. I don't carry a 1911 now (switched to M&P's several years ago), but if I did I'd want to train with the same caliber and load that I carried.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Being Ken Hackathorn, no doubt training with a different round than he carries is not a problem--pretty sure he can transition easily between them and shoot the .45 like a god. For myself, it always temporarily throws me off when I switch between shooting my 9mm and .45 1911's, both the amount and type of recoil. I don't carry a 1911 now (switched to M&P's several years ago), but if I did I'd want to train with the same caliber and load that I carried.

Pick up a lightweight commander in 45 ACP and carry that instead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ......I like my 1911.

Feedback Score
    I love 1911s.
    And I love my 68 GTO.
    And I love MP5s, G3’s, FN FALs, the M60, etc.

But objectively, there are more logical choices for daily use.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    But objectively, there are more logical choices for daily use.
    This is undoubtedly true, but, we aren't Vulcans. Subjectivity and emotions, like it or not, play into the majority of our decisions - personal weapons, vehicles, homes, spouses... emotion should not be fought against, but integrated into our decision making.

So, objectively, there are some things we shouldn't give up, such as reliability and a minimum power threshold. But, even what those two items should be are ultimately subjective.

After trying many "smarter" choices over the years after living on the words of Cooper and carrying .45 1911's, I cannot begin to describe the sheer contentedness I have had since I switched back to a 1911, this time a LW Commander in 9mm. While part of me wants a .45 and believe it to have the edge over 9mm, I accept 9mm will do the job if I will and so many other issues - arthritis and cost of ammunition - take precedent. So, subjectivity tempered by objectivity. But, a 1911 in condition one just gives me confidence should I ever have to make The Shot(s), coupled with an extensive past on the platform, and I'm much happier with 10+1 than I ever was with a G19 at 15+1.

Objectively I can, and will, argue the G19 all day long as a Tool amongst tools. Subjectively, I'm the prodigal son come home to a feast when I strap on my 1911.

To bring this back to the OP - I suspect many senior military folks who cut their teeth on the 1911 feel a similar comfort with the platform. It's hard to deny the leaps and bounds modern manufacturing have brought to pistol craft, but if you have the means to a reliable 1911, you might just not care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Pick up a lightweight commander in 45 ACP and carry that instead.
    That’s my favorite pistol (a blued Colt WC Commander in my case).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    That’s my favorite pistol (a blued Colt WC Commander in my case).
    I just picked up that same pistol and it is my least favorite 1911. The fit and finish is atrocious. For $1200-1400 Colt should be ashamed of putting such a product out. I actually called them to express my utter amazement at how horribly fit everything was and in typical Colt customer service fashion they didn’t even pick up and I couldn’t leave a voicemail.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but as a 1911 collector and avid competitive shooter I was shocked to see someone say their modern Colt was their favorite pistol.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast