Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: USGI 20 round mags

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    Are we really all out of things to debate, so now it's on to debating a 40 year old design and quality of Okay/NHMTG/Colt OEM mags? I think they've proven themselves enough.

Okay surefeeds are all of $12. Just buy some and forget about them.
    This. Or Pmags. I have a big box of both, but my range mags are two Okay 30s and one NHMTG 20. Been using those three for years.

Feedback Score
    Just as a point to note (and it makes no difference in performance), there are subtle differences construction between the original 20 round magazines and the later 30 round magazines. The original design was one piece wrapped into a rectangle, the later 30 rounders were two halves, overlapped and spot welded along the front and back. There were also differences in the shape of the front and back of the feed lips. And of course the method of floor plate retention, the spring riveted to the front of the body and a slot in the floor plate versus the simple nubs stamped in the floor plate itself.

The original black plastic follower is exactly the same as the older aluminum one, save the addition of a stem to limit maximum spring compression.

The Okay 20 round magazines are made just like the original Colt's, but the Brownell's 20 rounders are actually made more akin to the 30 round magazine (although straight) in that they are two pieces spot welded front and back with the simple floor plate and 30 round feed lip geometry. I think both Okay and Brownell use a plastic follower

Can you spot the differences in the feed lips?

Last edited by lysander; 06-09-19 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    I have 5 NHMTG magazines that bought some years ago and I have not and any issues with them. Pretty sure that Okay was the manufacture of NHMTG ones though buy now they are sold under the Okay brand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt = Okay = NHMTG = cage code 33710.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Colt Okay and NHMTG 20 mag feed lips are open in the back. 30 round versions are closed in the back, as are brownells 20 rnd mags.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can overspend like me and buy Colts.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234