Thread: Walnut Tumbling Media Stuck In Open Tip of MK 318 Bullets

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Walnut Tumbling Media Stuck In Open Tip of MK 318 Bullets

I tumbled some MK 318 pulls to remove the neck sealant. I didn't think the tips were large enough to get clogged but sure enough they were. Im concerned that this will affect fragmentation and expansion and result in FMJ like terminal ballistics. After picking out media from 50 bullets Im not looking forward to doing several hundred more. There probably are not a lot of guys that have performed gel tests with clogged OT bullets but Im throwing it out there just in case.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 06-05-19 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Absolutely not an issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Absolutely not an issue.
    I was hoping you would chime in thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It would be a challenge to get the 77 to lag down to an FMJ's performance just based on bullet length. Even if you could pack the area in the open tip tight with media, I bet it would still explode on contact with gel/bad guy/water.

The only thing that got a 77 to act sorta fmj-esque for me was down loading them to right around trans-sonic. They turned side ways and penetrated deep like a knife wound. (in water jug/backyard un-official tests)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I tumbled some MK 318 pulls to remove the neck sealant. I didn't think the tips were large enough to get clogged but sure enough they were. Im concerned that this will affect fragmentation and expansion and result in FMJ like terminal ballistics. After picking out media from 50 bullets Im not looking forward to doing several hundred more. There probably are not a lot of guys that have performed gel tests with clogged OT bullets but Im throwing it out there just in case.
    Leave them in, it makes them more lethal to bad guys with nut allergies.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had the same issue with the very same bullet recently. It appears I assumed correct that it would be a non -issue. Good, I'll do it again.
    It is amazing that media would get stuck in that little opening.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    It would be a challenge to get the 77 to lag down to an FMJ's performance just based on bullet length. Even if you could pack the area in the open tip tight with media, I bet it would still explode on contact with gel/bad guy/water.

The only thing that got a 77 to act sorta fmj-esque for me was down loading them to right around trans-sonic. They turned side ways and penetrated deep like a knife wound. (in water jug/backyard un-official tests)
    I think you have your bullets mistaken. The Mk318 is a 62gn
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I think you have your bullets mistaken. The Mk318 is a 62gn
    Correct. But the point is still the same. Media won't hurt anything.

Feedback Score
    Correct. But the point is still the same. Media won't hurt anything.
    Agreed. Not at those velocities. I hunt deer with the Mk318 Mod1. It hits hard
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541