Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Omaha Beach push had failed.....

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Not to derail the thread, but here's another thought. What if they HAD gone in at Calais, under Patton's plan - WITH Patton commanding - against all those Panzers? Could they still have succeeded?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but here's another thought. What if they HAD gone in at Calais, under Patton's plan - WITH Patton commanding - against all those Panzers? Could they still have succeeded?
    Probably, just because we have more of more. But a lot more would be lost.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting that this just popped up,,,,,,,http://thesilicongraybeard.blogspot....d-how.html?m=1

It is a glimpse of how close the Germans were to an Atomic Bomb !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Sure it could have, but would have taken longer. Remember you have Utah Beach, Point Du Hoc and the British beaches of Gold, Juno, etc. I was talking with my 96 year old father in law today and he was a Buck Sergeant with the 2nd battalion, 16th Infantry Regt. Ist Infantry Division, stationed in Dorchester, England for training before the invasion. He was in the 2nd wave at Easy Red, Omaha Beach. He was carrying a radio telephone and a Thompson machine gun. They were offloaded into the landing craft at 2:30am and sailed in circles until their time to storm the beach. He said they were all so seasick, they didn't care if they lived or died - they wanted off the LC.

They found the 1st Wave all bunched up, not making any progress. As he got behind a tank obstacle, his radio telephone on his back was hit by German fire and destroyed. He dumped it and made his way across the open sand to more cover and grabbed one section of a Bangalore Torpedo and went with another infantryman up to a heavily barbed wire section by one of the lanes inland. He helped assemble the Bangalore Torpedo, slid it under the wire and was shot twice in the left leg as he tried to move away from the impending explosion. He dragged himself back and laid for hours until he got medical treatment. He was sent back across the channel later that same day and spent two weeks in an English hospital before checking himself out, and finding the next transport across the channel to join his unit. He fought across France, Belgium, Germany and into Czechoslovakia before returning home in December 1945.

From 1946-1949 he went to college, did ROTC, and went back into the Army as a 2LT in 1950. Really tough gentleman, however when the movie Saving Private Ryan was released, he didn't want to see it nor re-live it all. He has never gone back to Normandy.
    Your grandfather will forever be a greater man that I am.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If D Day had failed, the world would be a dark and horrible place.
    Europe wouldn't be full of Arabs and Somalis.
    Trannies wouldn't be in our schools and libraries "reading" to our kids.
    Homos wouldn't be parading in the streets and sodomizing each other and recruiting more gays by sexually abusing adolescents and kids.
    A real nightmare scenario!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    If D Day had failed, the world would be a dark and horrible place.
    Europe wouldn't be full of Arabs and Somalis.
    Trannies wouldn't be in our schools and libraries "reading" to our kids.
    Homos wouldn't be parading in the streets and sodomizing each other and recruiting more gays by sexually abusing adolescents and kids.
    A real nightmare scenario!!!
    I hope you're being facetious.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Benito, you grow wearisome.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Politics notwithstanding....America has never had a problem sending its children to die for other people.

We would have kept tossing bodies and tossing bodies until we won.
    Then, as usual, sent more people to rebuild.

We have urban blight at home we do nothing about.

I'm not a bleeding heart and I'm not a hawk....and while it makes for good TV to see a boogie woogie boy from Company B run up and punch a Nazi or a Viet Cong or Haji....

He was still someone's child that family wont get back for someone elses victory. I feel like sometimes....sometimes....America is the world's Foreign Legion.

Nobody cares.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but this is awesome.

https://time.com/5601223/d-day-veter...utes-normandy/
    I saw that video on Facebook. Ninety-freaking-seven years old! That man will pass someday with a smile on his face. Can you imagine living to 97, in his shape no less which is a gift in and of itself, but to actually do what you did when you were 20? Minus the MG tracers and flak popping all over the place of course! Something tells me that old man thought of things he hadn't in a l-o-n-g time. Probably also found out that his adrenal glands still work just fine!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Politics notwithstanding....America has never had a problem sending its children to die for other people.

We would have kept tossing bodies and tossing bodies until we won.
    Then, as usual, sent more people to rebuild.

We have urban blight at home we do nothing about.

I'm not a bleeding heart and I'm not a hawk....and while it makes for good TV to see a boogie woogie boy from Company B run up and punch a Nazi or a Viet Cong or Haji....

He was still someone's child that family wont get back for someone elses victory. I feel like sometimes....sometimes....America is the world's Foreign Legion.

Nobody cares.
    You must certainly be aware that there are times we actually DO need to break things and kill people, right? Like legit? WWII is one of those times. Afghanistan after 9-11 (not necessarily continuing for 18 years later) had to be done.

I know you're throwing this out there, but as a cop no less you surely know that there are times you need to do what you might instinctively avoid. Like "Hell, I really don't want to do this but someone needs an ass-whooping".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast