Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems MR918 Glock 19 Clone

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think the frame is what Glock what should be shipping their pistols with right now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I think the frame is what Glock what should be shipping their pistols with right now.
    I think most who have 918's agree. At least the 918 frame is what a stock Glock frame manufactured in 2019 should look like.

Glocks are fantastic weapons, don't get me wrong, and as good as the 5th gen is compared to earlier gens, thats all the development they could muster in 34 years?

I mean Shadow Systems was able to pull off a redesigned Glock-ish frame in roughly two years.

There wasn't any magical unicorn dust needed either. The 918 will accept all 4th Gen parts, and vise versa, and they were able to do it within the current Glock design envelope.

The MR918 is more about the frame and it's improved ergonomics and features than it is about the pistol as a whole. All the other things about it are just icing on the cake.

Glock could have improved their ergos, they have just chosen not to for whatever reason.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 06-10-19 at 16:46.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Glocks are fantastic weapons, don't get me wrong, and as good as the 5th gen is compared to earlier gens, thats all the development they could muster in 34 years.
    I am going to tell you something I have been saying to co-workers for years.

Don't ever confuse what can't be done with we are too cheap to do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exactly. Their lack of innovation over the years is due to their huge sales volumes and market shares they enjoyed for so long.

Loss of market share to competitors is the only reason they've done anything different, methinks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Agreed on both counts. The Original Glock design has forever won a place in history. Glock was never hurting for money by any means, and The current line of competition is likely the only thing that spurred the revisions they have come up with. Well that and competing for Gov contracts. Remember the 5th Gen was derived from the "M" guns which was basically designed by the Feds RFP. So glock redesigned the internals, added the ambi slide release Per RFP, and dropped the finger humps, pre the RFP. I'm not even sure that qualifies as evolutionary. Now the 5th Gen trigger are improved, but a 5th Gen gun still looks a lot like a 2nd gen gun, except it has the silly back strap system and beveled slide. Oh and they revised the barrel.

I often wonder if Glock even had a set design for the 5th gen gun prior to that. I mean they even left the cutout on the front strap per RFP, when they knew good and well people didn't want that which is why they deleted it on the late third gen guns.

4th Gen sales were good, and they were still selling 3rd Gen guns to contracts, why bother.

I hope they have and are learning what happens when you sit too long. I have used this comparison before, but Colt travelled down the same road. Once the patent ran out on the 1911 design, Kimber and a short time later other manufacturers gave people what they wanted in a 1911.

Other manufacturers are doing the same thing with Glocks now.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 06-10-19 at 17:03.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is why I bought my MR918 and also have a 19 frame from Nomad Defense.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    This is why I bought my MR918 and also have a 19 frame from Nomad Defense.

People are built differently, but I can only recall being slide bit by a pistol once. I have been hammer bit, though.

Obviously, you've addressed the problem, but just for curiosity's sake, how do you drive your hand to your grip in the holster?

I tend to work off touch points. By the time I really started paying attention to the finer nuances of the draw, I was teaching out of the early Safariland Raptor, so I grooved the movement for that holster. My elbow rotates rearward and up, my hand hits the rib area and my thumb brushes the side as I drive the hand down, the thumb hits the retention on the bale of the Raptor and I drive forward into the back strap as the bale rotates forward. I think this movement tends to push the roll of skin in the web of the hand down/out of the way. Since I have so many draw strokes out of that holster, I do essentially the same thing with all holsters (I still shoot action pistol out of that old Raptor when I use a Glock).

Cutting to the chase, it could be if you are planting the web of your hand high on the backstrap and rolling your wrist to establish your grip, you could be pushing loose skin in the web of your hand up.

Of course I could be full of do do, and, as I've said, you have cured the problem.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The barrels in the Gen5 Glocks is not the same barrel as in the 19M/17M (at least not the FBI 19M and 17M). Those barrels are traditionally rifled, while the Gen5s have polygonally rifled barrels, although they are a different type of polygonal rifling from Gen4 and prior generation Glocks.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    People are built differently, but I can only recall being slide bit by a pistol once. I have been hammer bit, though.
    I have a fairly long thumb and a fleshy hand.

Back in the old days when we used to shoot more of a "thumbs down" grip, I had no issue shooting a Glock. Later, as my grip matured and I started using the more modern "thumbs up" grip, I started getting cut.

Obviously the Glock Gen4/5 beavertail addition helps with the cutting but I don't want something that's essentially making the grip even longer and narrower. The Grip Force adapter is similar to the Glock design and is uncomfortable. Anyway, had Glock gone with something more like the M&P wrap-around or the HK P30/VP series I probably wouldn't have issues.

The other obvious alternative is to shoot something else like the M&P, CZ P10C or the SIG 320.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have a fairly long thumb and a fleshy hand.

Back in the old days when we used to shoot more of a "thumbs down" grip, I had no issue shooting a Glock. Later, as my grip matured and I started using the more modern "thumbs up" grip, I started getting cut.

Obviously the Glock Gen4/5 beavertail addition helps with the cutting but I don't want something that's essentially making the grip even longer and narrower. The Grip Force adapter is similar to the Glock design and is uncomfortable. Anyway, had Glock gone with something more like the M&P wrap-around or the HK P30/VP series I probably wouldn't have issues.

The other obvious alternative is to shoot something else like the M&P, CZ P10C or the SIG 320.

I took the medium back strap an chopped the portion after the pin off. Tada. Beaver tail with no added grip bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast