Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 , 5 position vs 7 position

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Vltor A5 , 5 position vs 7 position

Are they the same length? I was under the impression they were different lengths, only slightly. So what gives MIB?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    I'm pretty certain the 5 position Vltor tube is not an A5 length tube. The 6 and 7 position Vltor tubes are A5.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wigbones View Post
    I'm pretty certain the 5 position Vltor tube is not an A5 length tube. The 6 and 7 position Vltor tubes are A5.
    Correct. The 5 position is a carbine length. The 6 and 7 position are A5. Why Vltor made both 6 and 7 position extensions is baffling. Their descriptions give no indication.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The A5-SR was originally 5 position if I recall correctly. The SR is the same overall A5 length, but the "rail" or "track" for the stocks latch pin is the same as a carbine RE. This makes the shorter stocks with a rubber pad stop on the latch pin and not knock the butt pad off. On the other hand if you run a longer stock it won't be able to collapse all the way.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Good video. I saw this after I posted, but its always good to keep anon mind. Thanks

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Hey all, Nick from VLTOR here. The 7-position RE-A5 and the 6-position RE-10/A5SR are the same overall length and serve the same purpose. The only difference is in the number of stock indexing positions, and the length of the indexing rail underneath. The extra position on the 7-position RE-A5 tube is farther in, not farther out. Smaller, closed-back stocks like the VLTOR Imod aren't able to fully reach the farthest in position on the RE-A5 tube, but can on the RE-10/A5SR. Both tubes are mil-spec in diameter and will accept any mil-spec stock. The indexing rail underneath is shorter on the 6-position RE-10/A5SR tube, and the "SR" suffix on the end of the model number actually stands for "short rail". The only time I can think of where the indexing rail length would matter is in the case of a stock that uses the front ramp of the indexing rail as an installation point, like some of the Magpul PRS units. Those stocks have a stud that go across the front of the indexing rail ramp, which is used to keep the stock from being able to be pulled backwards. The indexing rail ramp on the 7-position RE-A5 tube is in the same location as a standard mil-spec carbine tube, so if you are going the PRS route, the RE-A5 is the proper tube to use, not the RE-10/A5SR.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@VWS View Post
    Hey all, Nick from VLTOR here. The 7-position RE-A5 and the 6-position RE-10/A5SR are the same overall length and serve the same purpose. The only difference is in the number of stock indexing positions, and the length of the indexing rail underneath. The extra position on the 7-position RE-A5 tube is farther in, not farther out. Smaller, closed-back stocks like the VLTOR Imod aren't able to fully reach the farthest in position on the RE-A5 tube, but can on the RE-10/A5SR. Both tubes are mil-spec in diameter and will accept any mil-spec stock. The indexing rail underneath is shorter on the 6-position RE-10/A5SR tube, and the "SR" suffix on the end of the model number actually stands for "short rail". The only time I can think of where the indexing rail length would matter is in the case of a stock that uses the front ramp of the indexing rail as an installation point, like some of the Magpul PRS units. Those stocks have a stud that go across the front of the indexing rail ramp, which is used to keep the stock from being able to be pulled backwards. The indexing rail ramp on the 7-position RE-A5 tube is in the same location as a standard mil-spec carbine tube, so if you are going the PRS route, the RE-A5 is the proper tube to use, not the RE-10/A5SR.
    Outstanding info! Thanks Nick.

Feedback Score
    Hi Nick. Appreciate you stopping by! Any insight on when we might see these items back in stock at various retail outlets? Seems like everyone has been out for months.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@VWS View Post
    Hey all, Nick from VLTOR here.

Feedback Score
    We have consistently been making and shipping the tubes out to our various dealers and distributors. We sent out a HUGE number of them all through May, and have made several shipments this month, as well. I can only assume that our dealers and distributors often have backorders on their sides, as well. Meaning that when fresh shipments arrive, a large percentage of those are already allocated to existing orders on their side. The perceived lack of availability is entirely due to high demand, and not due to a lack of manufacturing on our side. The RE-10/A5SR units did get pushed back a little bit due to some defense work that came through, but the RE-A5 units have been shipping out as normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast