Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol ARs with "brace": experience?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    They are a good supplement to SBR lowers as you can easily move it across state lines without submitting a form and the other advantages listed above. The SBA3 is the best of the bunch.

The brace does not shoot as well as your favorite stock. I also believe they are not long for this world.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'm amazed that ATF hasn't shut this down.

There are true .223 handguns, such as the Rock River or the Extar.
    Like most folks follow the SBR laws as it is anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Like most folks follow the SBR laws as it is anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would say most braced AR pistol ownership is born out of a desire to not follow SBR laws. The remaining minority is comprised of people who can’t own an SBR in their state, or people who need a temporary lower for a short upper while their stamp gets approved.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I would say most braced AR pistol ownership is born out of a desire to not follow SBR laws. The remaining minority is comprised of people who can’t own an SBR in their state, or people who need a temporary lower for a short upper while their stamp gets approved.
    I agree with several others that have already posted though, it's probably a good idea to have an SBR lower in the safe as a fallback just in case Trump goes full bumpstocks on AR Pistols. I personally am still waiting on my stamp for a lower I have also. I love my pistols though because I constantly travel over state lines to WA and Montana, and I don't have to ask permission to do so, while my Tavor essentially accomplishes the same thing, I really have become a fan of the AR pistol with a quality brace.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In Alabama my 11.3" barreled AR pistol can be carried concealed and loaded in a vehicle (with permit). In practice that means I can have the pistol in an unlocked case also containing loaded magazines under the seat of my truck while driving.

A SBR is classed as a rifle and pistol permit doesn't apply.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Damn those are sexy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I would say most braced AR pistol ownership is born out of a desire to not follow SBR laws.
    Complying with the NFA is, by definition, following "SBR laws".

My ownership is born out of a desire to have a short AR without diving into a pool of complex and baffling rules that accompany owning a NFA weapon.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pardon the thread hijack, but is it just the brace it self that makes it pistol, or does it need a particular buffer tube, or some other qualifier?

I had registered numerous SBRs years ago, so never paid much attention to the developments with the pistol. The idea of having one loaded in my vehicle with my carry permit is interesting, though.

Can I put a brace on one of my current SBRs and make it a pistol? I seem to remember something about not being able to make a pistol from a rifle, so I guess I would need a new lower?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by khc3; 06-22-19 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    oops, don’t know how that happened
    Last edited by khc3; 06-22-19 at 09:51. Reason: Double tap

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Pardon the thread hijack, but is it just the brace it self that makes it pistol, or does it need a particular buffer tube, or some other qualifier?

I had registered numerous SBRs years ago, so never paid much attention to the developments with the pistol. The idea of having one loaded in my vehicle with my carry permit is interesting, though.

Can I put a brace on one of my current SBRs and make it a pistol? I seem to remember something about not being able to make a pistol from a rifle, so I guess I would need a new lower?

Thanks for the help!
    You are correct, you can't make a pistol out of a rifle. You can build a pistol lower and use one of your SBR uppers on it. There are pistol braces that fit on standard receiver extensions. I use a Shockwave brace which uses a pistol RE.

What makes it a pistol is being built on a virgin receiver and never having a stock. Some state laws differ however. In Alabama, to be carried concealed a pistol has to have a barrel shorter than 12in for example.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-22-19 at 10:14.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast