Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol ARs with "brace": experience?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Pardon the thread hijack, but is it just the brace it self that makes it pistol, or does it need a particular buffer tube, or some other qualifier?

I had registered numerous SBRs years ago, so never paid much attention to the developments with the pistol. The idea of having one loaded in my vehicle with my carry permit is interesting, though.

Can I put a brace on one of my current SBRs and make it a pistol? I seem to remember something about not being able to make a pistol from a rifle, so I guess I would need a new lower?

Thanks for the help!
    Once the lower is an SBR it's done, and you can't make it back into a pistol. So yes, you'd need a new lower, but again, not one that's already mated to an upper and sold as a rifle.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I was in the AR pistol camp long before braces. I would just cheek the pistol tube and roll the shoulder up. It wasn't perfect, but was very usable and I could still easily make a head shot at a 100 yrds.

Eventually I did an sbr. Then shortly after that the braces came out. Honestly, if the sba3 was on the market back then, I probably would have never made a sbr.

If the braces ever become illegal, I can always go back to the bare pistol tube and be relatively happy.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Hoping one of y’all can clarify further since I’m in the camp that hasn’t really paid attention to the pistol AR stuff...but when you buy a stripped lower, is that not sold as a “rifle”?

Is there some other “pistol designation” that needs to be made on the 4473 when a stripped lower is bought to allow for it to be built into a “pistol”?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Hey bro

It’s sold as a receiver and from there it can be built into a rifle or a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Hoping one of y’all can clarify further since I’m in the camp that hasn’t really paid attention to the pistol AR stuff...but when you buy a stripped lower, is that not sold as a “rifle”?

Is there some other “pistol designation” that needs to be made on the 4473 when a stripped lower is bought to allow for it to be built into a “pistol”?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

Stripped lowers are transferred as "other". They are neither a rifle or a pistol at that point.

Feedback Score
    If over 26", you can add a vert grip but then it is not a pistol anymore, it's a Title 1 "firearm". Be careful you CCW guys out there, if this applies to you. Just go with an AFG or handstop. How to measure seems to be the most contentious subject out there, but the ATF describes brace extended and, if a folder, unfolded. My 11.3 measures ~26.5" with the brace collapsed to the castle nut, so my bases are (hopefully) covered.

I think I've seen an ATF letter that deems a LOP greater than 13.5" disqualifies a pistol. My SBA4 with 6-pos rec. ext. (from rear top corner of brace to trigger) is 13.5 inches. I would think an A5 system would exceed that. Anyone who can chime in on that would be most appreciated.

Feedback Score
    This link is to SB Tactical that has helpful compliance info. I find it interesting that counter what I've read, SB asserts that the brace needs to be collapsed for measurement.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/about/compliance-story/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That works, C-clamp grip w/ handstop gives me greatest control with my 11.5" anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    This link is to SB Tactical that has helpful compliance info. I find it interesting that counter what I've read, SB asserts that the brace needs to be collapsed for measurement.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/about/compliance-story/
    So "should not" mean "must not"? Again a lot of ABC gray area here. Sounds to me like it is left up to agent interpretation and intent of owner.

Feedback Score
    "The OAL of a braced firearm is measured in its shortest configuration (folded or collapsed)." - SB Tactical

As far as grey area, I hear ya. I've read and heard so much conflicting info that I've taken the better safe than sorry approach. SB Tactical has done a lot of groundbreaking work in this area, and if they are posting it on their website, you would think their info would be posted responsibly. Again, I'm pretty sure I read an ATF letter about the brace being fully extended for measurement.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast