Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol ARs with "brace": experience?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They used to suck, because they were made to strap on arm and only arm. So you could NOT get a cheek weld and see through BUIS. That’s not the case anymore. They are GTG.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    "The OAL of a braced firearm is measured in its shortest configuration (folded or collapsed)." - SB Tactical

As far as grey area, I hear ya. I've read and heard so much conflicting info that I've taken the better safe than sorry approach. SB Tactical has done a lot of groundbreaking work in this area, and if they are posting it on their website, you would think their info would be posted responsibly. Again, I'm pretty sure I read an ATF letter about the brace being fully extended for measurement.
    According to an acquaintance of mine who's a FFL Type 07, the info he was given as far as braces, VFGs, and measuring OAL is that fully extended is how you measure a rifle/sbr. There is no official way to measure a pistol, so shortest configuration is what was recommended to him by someone at the ATF. That means with the muzzle device removed unless it's pinned and welded, measured from the end of the barrel to the end of the receiver extension. He was also told that if using a Law folder or extended receiver extension like an A5, that the last one or two notches on the receiver extension should be JB Weld'd or permanently plugged so the LOP doesn't exceed 13.5".

For reference:

A 10.5" will not meet the 26.5" requirement to run a VFG.

An 11.5" may or may not make 26.5".

An 11.5" with an A5 setup will meet 26.5".

I realize I didn't bring any clarity to the matter and probably made things worse, but it goes to show the ambiguity surrounding braced AR/AK pistols. That's why I'm a firm believer in SBR'ing everything except one pistol with a brace, no VFG, and maintaining the LOP at 13.5" or less, if you want to have one that is travel friendly and able to be transported loaded in a vehicle(if your state prohibits loaded rifles in vehicles, mine does).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You know, I just took a measuring tape to my 11.5", just out of curiosity...and in doing so I have to say I am struck by how idiotically arbirtary these pathetic "rules" are.

Mine's within "spec" for OAL and LOP, it just feels ridiculous and silly measuring it like that, for this nonsensical purpose.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A Tabor bullpup is not a SBR at 26.5" AOL with a 16" barrel, an 11.5" barreled AR is a SBR at the same AOL, and a H&R single shot rifle is an SBR with a 16" barrel because it is less than 26" long.

A 25.9" pistol is a AOW with a vertical foregrip, a 26.1" pistol simply becomes a firearm with a VFG.

An 870 with a 16" barrel is a NFA weapon, a 760 with a 16" barrel is good to go.

Arbitrary is right...

Feedback Score
    For me, this is pretty much what I've boiled it down to. Better safe than sorry. At any rate, I need to at least get the story sounding good if local LEO ever gets curious. I did bring my firearm to a local carbine class that was filled with area LE and no one really batted an eye (aside from "hey that's really cool"). I'm rural FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    According to an acquaintance of mine who's a FFL Type 07, the info he was given as far as braces, VFGs, and measuring OAL is that fully extended is how you measure a rifle/sbr. There is no official way to measure a pistol, so shortest configuration is what was recommended to him by someone at the ATF. That means with the muzzle device removed unless it's pinned and welded, measured from the end of the barrel to the end of the receiver extension. He was also told that if using a Law folder or extended receiver extension like an A5, that the last one or two notches on the receiver extension should be JB Weld'd or permanently plugged so the LOP doesn't exceed 13.5".

For reference:

A 10.5" will not meet the 26.5" requirement to run a VFG.

An 11.5" may or may not make 26.5".

An 11.5" with an A5 setup will meet 26.5".

I realize I didn't bring any clarity to the matter and probably made things worse, but it goes to show the ambiguity surrounding braced AR/AK pistols. That's why I'm a firm believer in SBR'ing everything except one pistol with a brace, no VFG, and maintaining the LOP at 13.5" or less, if you want to have one that is travel friendly and able to be transported loaded in a vehicle(if your state prohibits loaded rifles in vehicles, mine does).

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Hey bro

It’s sold as a receiver and from there it can be built into a rifle or a pistol.
    Thanks brother, very interesting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I see more and more of these out there. Anybody have experience shooting one of these? What will they do that a M4 won't do?
    Love mine. Very fun, much more appropriate for the indoor range.

Here's my nephew shooting it -
    https://i.imgur.com/6mCLgL8.mp4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I think it's a good thing we're seeing more and more of these. Was talking to another like-minded shooter the other day, he had one on the passenger seat.

It is nice to be able to roll with a loaded AR in the car and still be legal.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Love mine. Very fun, much more appropriate for the indoor range.

Here's my nephew shooting it -
    https://i.imgur.com/6mCLgL8.mp4
    Yes, I edited this. I did not intend to be the enemy of all that is light in the world...

I think it's awesome you took your nephew shooting and agree the pistol rounds make for much quieter shooting indoors.

I really like the looks of the pistol, what are the barrel and rail lengths? I was eyeballing an 11.5" 9mm barrel and trying to visualize how it would work with a 10" rail.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-29-19 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Nobody cares about shouldering pistols

I swear we’re our own worst enemies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast