Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol ARs with "brace": experience?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    For that matter, they could decide SBRs are illegal too, I suppose.
    They could, but wouldn't that entail Congressional legislation to modify the NFA? It just seems like with braces and blades on pistols hasn't ATF toyed with regulations or negative rulings in the past? IIRC? Didn't they say at first it was illegal to shoulder a pistol, then changed their minds? Personally I think anybody can do what they want at the range, but there are people who will decide to buy or not buy a pistol based on the legalities.

Feedback Score
    Actually, it was the other way around. At first they said they were ok to shoulder, then they changed their minds. Only recently did they change back again. So, yeah, it all comes down to interpretation of the NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    They could, but wouldn't that entail Congressional legislation to modify the NFA? It just seems like with braces and blades on pistols hasn't ATF toyed with regulations or negative rulings in the past? IIRC? Didn't they say at first it was illegal to shoulder a pistol, then changed their minds? Personally I think anybody can do what they want at the range, but there are people who will decide to buy or not buy a pistol based on the legalities.

Feedback Score
    It certainly makes sense to save the $200 and not go the SBR route.

Still, what's legal today may not be tomorrow and who knows? Five years from now ATF may rule braces illegal and everybody with an AR pistol will have to remove them.

Remember bump stocks were legal for years, too.
    I earmarked two lowers for my 11.5” build. One to be build up as a pistol and another to be SBRd. I still have to file for the SBR but it will be nice to have both options. In PA loaded pistols can be transported in a car. Loaded rifles can not.

And another thought that crossed my mind...if I need to use this 11.5” gun for self defense, I’d rather have my “pistol” taken by LEO for any investigation than my SBR. Just a thought that crossed my mind.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    And another thought that crossed my mind...if I need to use this 11.5” gun for self defense, I’d rather have my “pistol” taken by LEO for any investigation than my SBR. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Good point. And what if you have to move out of state suddenly due to a job change or something? An SBR is a boat anchor then.

Feedback Score
    Correction: A Form 20 needs to be filed and only after permission can you transport NFA items. Sound like a big hassle.

Good point. And what if you have to move out of state suddenly due to a job change or something? An SBR is a boat anchor then.
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 07-01-19 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    But some people do care. No need for the posturing. I'm not going to say how I look at it.
    I wasn't posturing. It's a $100 piece of plastic that is legal to own and shoulder if you so chose. 30 round mags are legal right now, they could make them illegal so why even bother using 30 rounders? I mean, how far are you willing to take the notion of not using something that's legal today because it might be illegal later?

Feedback Score
    Well you know how ATF has gone back and forth on things so I guess ultimately nothing is safe. It just seems like they are especially wishy washy on pistol braces. I just bought an AR pistol. First thing I did was look it over to see if I can remove the brace just in case the day comes where I have to. Until then I plan to rock out with whatever is legal at the moment.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 07-03-19 at 18:22.

Feedback Score
    Not NFA is huge!!! Got Ar-15s and a 7.5" AR -10. Love my braces as long as they last 😉

Feedback Score
    Avoiding NFA is huge; ended up with an NFA Scorp because the BATF had not yet made up their mind about braces. These carbines are about worthless without a stock or a brace.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This thread has gotten pathetic.

I have a 10.5 pistol with a brace and VFG and I've measured it over 26" OAL. Another poster said a 10.5 doesn't meet the 26" OAL. Oh well, the Feds are welcome to come and get me if anyone cares, I don't.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast