Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    When he and I had the conversation ATK paid him and he constantly referred to them as “Federal”; this conversation was somewhat around the time of the “controversy” where everybody called XM193 low-QC junk. As you said, ATK is no longer managing them. Sorry if my information is outdated and I was unaware than ATK formed and owned Vista Outdoors just before it merged with Orbital Sciences later in 2015 who later merged with Northrop Grumman in 2018. Geebus! But at the end of the day, the same people that own Vista and thus Federal own ATK and manage LC.
    I give up on the whole bullet thing.

ATK did not form Vista nor did they own them. Vista was a spin off company and took all of the commercial facilities and brand names (including Federal) and became its own publicly traded company (VSTO). ATK merged with Orbital right after the spin off and took the defense and aerospace business and also became its own publicly traded company (OA). Orbital ATK was acquired by Northrop Grumman in 2018, not merged. OA became Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems at this point. The LC contract has stayed with ATK, NOT Vista.

I worked for both ATK Defense and Federal in various capacities during that time frame and of all the people that I worked with, nobody referred to LC as "Federal". Just my experience.

Feedback Score

My review of Wolf Gold. (Tl:dr - throw that shit away)

You should give up on the “bullet thing” as somebody who is an insider you should know that the “fused” bullet requires additional steps and thus would induce more expense than a FMJ. Is that unreasonable?

Did you work at Lake City?

Have a good evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lsllc; 06-11-19 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    You should give up on the “bullet thing” as somebody who is an insider you should know that the “fused” bullet requires additional steps and thus would induce more expense than a FMJ. Is that unreasonable?

Did you work at Lake City?

Have a good evening.
    I don't know what to tell you, man. It certainly is true that the FMJ is a cheap bullet to make. It's just as reasonable to assume that the FMJ also requires an additional step for adding a cannelure and the Fusion does not and also uses a gilding metal jacket which should be cheaper than the the copper used to form FMJ jackets. Would that even out production costs between the two? Who knows? You seem to be stuck on the Fusion projectile but something similar to the 55gr Hornady SP projectile would be made just as cheaply and likely be just as useful for AR shooters, especially those who want good terminal ballistics without affecting POI. My point was more that an FMJ is not the only option for a cheap bullet that can be loaded into blaster ammo.

Nope, didn't work at the Lake City facility.

For the sake of this thread, please feel free to PM me if you would like to chat further.

Have a good evening as well.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Euro, do you have another rifle to test the ammo with?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My recent case of Wolf Gold dated "WOLF-2017-24" was just fine. Zeroed both a 16" and cut/pinned to 16" barrel at 200 yd with under 2 MOA 5-shot groups. I'll be sure to document the groups next time I'm out at known distances.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    ...I have so much of this garbage. I might pull the bullets and reload them with Tac and Hornady 55grs.
    You'd sink a lot of time into that project...Time that could be better used doing pretty much anything else.

Here's what I would do instead:
    1) Set the suspect lots aside
    2) Buy a metric shitload of something better, while the ammo market is still way down. IMI or whatever you like better.
    3) Wait for the inevitable next panic. I'm thinking handsy Uncle Joe will be polling pretty high this time next year and the frenzy will be on.
    4) Unload the suspect Wolf Gold on some unsuspecting schmuck with a shiny new DPMs for like $0.50/rnd. He'll have money to burn and won't know any better anyway.
    5) Spend the profit on something nice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So do unto others before they do it to you? How about just call Wolf about a return.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Euro, do you have another rifle to test the ammo with?
    Yeah I have several. At the end of the month I’ll be testing all the lots with one 5 round group each out of the 12.5” in the OP and 20” Krieger.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-12-19 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    the 12.5” in the OP and 20” Krieger.
    You're going to run that crap in a Krieger??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You're going to run that crap in a Krieger??
    Yeah why not? (Not sarcasm)

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast