Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

I've sworn by Wolf Gold for almost 5 years. It's been the exclusive round for SBRs at Swamp De Eurodriver for NV, long range, plinking, training, etc.

Recently, I got a new batch. I mix my ammo up so I cant tell lots without taking the actual boxes apart, but it coincided with a new BCM 16". I thought the rifle was broken, the groups were about 15" at 100 yards. It was terrible. But then I loaded a new mag (with a different box) and it shot acceptably. About 3" at 100 yards.

I made this thread a few weeks ago.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-one-of-these)

In it I posted a 5 round group, and a video of me shooting steel at 200 & 300 yards.

Here it is again for post-whoring effect:

As you can see, it shot pretty well. Afterward, I took it out to 600y and my buddy and I were shooting a full size steel silhouette with almost 100% reliability. Again, wolf gold.

Then, last weekend I brought that same rifle out with more wolf gold to do velocity testing with my Magnetospeed (will get the data up tonight. It's on the memory card still)

I decided to shoot at 300y, and out of 10 rounds could not hit the steel once. I wasn't barely missing. I was 2 feet off. It was bad. So I dragged my shit over to 100 and shot these groups. The pic is kind of hard to follow, as not all of those rounds are one shooter (I had 2 other known shooters give it a shot) and some of the rounds at target 6 actually were in the top right of the paper. Still, you can tell it isn't very pretty.

I thought there was something wrong with the gun or optic. Then I thought back to this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Colt-M4/page2

So I went back to the range today with my Precision Rifle Handloads and shot 2 five round groups (it was pouring and the RSOs were rushing me to get done so they could close the range for lightning. I have no doubt these groups would shrink (they are 1.3 & 1.25 respectively) if I didn't shoot all 10 rounds in less than 30 seconds in a howling storm. Even still, 1.25" at 100 yards is a marked improvement from the 8"-10" nonsense I was getting with Wolf Gold. For what its worth, I am not comparing handloads to wolf gold. I just wanted to shoot a proven load to verify that there was nothing wrong with the rifle.

My conclusion is as follows: Wolf Gold is shit. I will never buy it again, and the ammo I have on hand will be used solely for close range drills and plinking. Obviously there are batches out there that are well made, but if I can't trust it I won't use it. It makes no sense to have a $6,000 firearm and shoot ammo through it that may or may not fail you.

I am very curious if anyone else has experienced similar situations. I will from now on only be buying IMI or LC stamped 55gr ammo.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-27-19 at 08:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My experience mirrors your previous. It's ok for the price. Nothing amazing but solid training ammo. However, I have a stash of it and was recently thinking about buying some more. I'll probably still buy another case at least..... maybe you got a bad batch? Either way, if I do, if you're interested I can send a few boxes to see if you see any difference.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The biggest lesson here is to never, ever. ever doubt or question LMT again.

mfw I told you so

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    " I took it out to 600y and my buddy and I were shooting a full size steel silhouette with almost 100% reliability. Again, wolf gold."

You had good results on a torso target at 600 yards and you are whining about what is the cheapest 5.56 brass cased ammo available?

I don't understand.
    I’ve been having issues with my image hosting site lately. Perhaps it didn’t come through on your end. Did you see the picture of the 100yd target from a different batch of the 600yd ammo that was used? It is showing up my on screen.

What about the paragraph about 15” groups at 100 yards with a 16” BCM? Or where I said it’s been my go-to ammo for 5 years?

The implied point of the OP is that Wolf’s QC must have some issues. It’s treated me well for years but looking back I’ve had some puzzling experiences and I have finally isolated one variable - Wolf Gold.

I’ll buy the IMI for $0.008 per round shipped more and avoid such headaches.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I shoot a lot of WG, but use it 100 yds and in.
    It’s reliable range ammo that’s good for drills IME.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’ve been having issues with my image hosting site lately. Perhaps it didn’t come through on your end. Did you see the picture of the 100yd target from a different batch of the 600yd ammo that was used? It is showing up my on screen.

What about the paragraph about 15” groups at 100 yards with a 16” BCM? Or where I said it’s been my go-to ammo for 5 years?

The implied point of the OP is that Wolf’s QC must have some issues. It’s treated me well for years but looking back I’ve had some puzzling experiences and I have finally isolated one variable - Wolf Gold.

I’ll buy the IMI for $0.008 per round shipped more and avoid such headaches.
    That may not be the ammo.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    " I took it out to 600y and my buddy and I were shooting a full size steel silhouette with almost 100% reliability. Again, wolf gold."

You had good results on a torso target at 600 yards and you are whining about what is the cheapest 5.56 brass cased ammo available?

I don't understand.
    Well in spite of you must being from Texas - with the whole God’s country thing - I think it very possible the ammo the OP had success with was a different batch than ammo that he had issues with. That’s not a hard stretch to get a bad batch. So if that’s the case, I don’t get the point of plinking with any ammo you can’t get consistent hits with. Makes training rather pointless, I don’t care how cheap the ammo is.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am a Federal/AE ammo guy and have been shooting their XM193 exclusively for years and have been extremely happy with it. Recently, though, I picked up a case of Hornady Frontier 5.56 55 grain HP and have gone through 300 rounds and it has been reliable and accurate, though it seems a little hotter than the Federal.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I use it my plinking and “bay stages” match ammo. 62gr magtech is for midrange stages and shtf.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I use it my plinking and “bay stages” match ammo. 62gr magtech is for midrange stages and shtf.
    I may do this as well going forward. It is just too inconsistent. Unfortunate because when it works it really really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The biggest lesson here is to never, ever. ever doubt or question LMT again.

mfw I told you so

Amen. I feel stupid. But I am getting my LMT back fosho.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast