Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Your 2018-3 POI shift is extreme. At 300 yds. you'd be lucky to catch a "D" zone without optic correction.
    That is disappointing.

I have 5 unopened cases in my gun room, so here's your; "I'm gonna keep using it" comment.

A couple years ago was last I remember checking the WG for groups, your 2014-3/2016-16 groups are what I've seen from my guns.
    I will remember to verify zero with this stuff next time I'm out.

I will add that my use of this ammo has been 90% 50 yds. and in, anything past 100 yds. I've used different ammo for a couple years.
    I wouldn't have noticed a major degradation of precision with the WG ammo, but would have assumed it was operator error.
    You have me questioning now. I will check on it next range trip.
    The 2018-3 shift would be especially bad with a 2017 batch zero. That’s a shift of over 6” to 7:30 (not to mention the 5 MOA group size.) In my OP I mentioned being 2 feet off from an IPSC at 300y. A 6 minute shift at 300y is 18” which leads me to believe I had zeroed with the 2017 batch (it’s the only one with a “center” that is zeroed) and shot the 18” stuff and wondered wtf was going on.

The 2014 lots seem pretty consistent and no worse than what I would expect from this type of ammo.

Point being - if you were shooting the 2016-16 batch and then went to the 2018 batch you’d be rightfully confused.

I don’t know what variations there are between lots of LC or XM193 or Magtech but I doubt it’s that extreme. For now I will zero and use the 2014 lots for my long distance (101yd+) play time and the other stuff for closer range stuff.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Precisely.

I'm one of those- "gotta have confidence in your equipment" guys.
    I'll be checking my stockpile and making notes on rather "GTG" or CQB Range Use.

Appreciate the heads up.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Your 2018-3 POI shift is extreme. At 300 yds. you'd be lucky to catch a "D" zone without optic correction.
    That is disappointing.

I have 5 unopened cases in my gun room, so here's your; "I'm gonna keep using it" comment.

A couple years ago was last I remember checking the WG for groups, your 2014-3/2016-16 groups are what I've seen from my guns.
    I will remember to verify zero with this stuff next time I'm out.

I will add that my use of this ammo has been 90% 50 yds. and in, anything past 100 yds. I've used different ammo for a couple years.
    I wouldn't have noticed a major degradation of precision with the WG ammo, but would have assumed it was operator error.
    You have me questioning now. I will check on it next range trip.
    Not only that, but aside from the one 2014 group, all of those look to be 3-4 MOA at very best.

It got me wondering since I’ve done so much grouping lately so I’m comparing some bulk stuff on Sunday. Most of the stuff I had stashed here while I was in Hawaii was Freedom reman, so I really won’t be surprised if it keyholes at 100. Then I have a little bit of the AE MSR stuff (red, white, and blue packaging), and then the Winchester 62gr OTM. Unfortunately, unless KAC overnights my upper back to me, this will all be done out of my beater gun and my newly rebarreled BCM, so small sample size. But I have FGMM 77gr on hand to establish a base line of how the new one shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Not only that, but aside from the one 2014 group, all of those look to be 3-4 MOA at very best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a weird place. Everyone is convinced <1.5” groups at 100y are the norm for any gun, when in fact they are not (especially for a chrome lined barrel shooting bulk ammo).

M855 issued to the .mil has a 5 MOA accuracy requirement. No doubt it can do better, and often does, but it says a lot about the expectations.

Molon did a review of Wolf Gold a few years ago and through his 20” Stainless got an average of 2.4” for 10 shot groups.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-55-Grain-FMJ

The group sizes for the 2014 batches don’t bother me nearly as much as the POI shift between years. You might as well not even be zeroed at all.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-28-19 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The internet is a weird place. Everyone is convinced <1.5” groups at 100y are the norm for any gun, when in fact they are not (especially for a chrome lined barrel shooting bulk ammo).
    No doubt. Especially with cherry picked groups of meaningless sample size, shot off a benchrest with 14x scopes.

I seem to remember you having a problem with a wandering zero or something with a suppressor a few months ago. Was that you? Any chance you z’d unsuppressed with one lot of this stuff, and then later shot a different lot through the muffler?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    With 77 gr OTMs, almost any gun we shoot will 1.5"

With blaster ammo.. No way.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    All of this proves something I have believed forever, Lot's matter. IMO better to have a large amount of less accurate ammo than mixed lots that will group in different places.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    With 77 gr OTMs, almost any gun we shoot will 1.5"

With blaster ammo.. No way.
    Exactly! But if you are doing a 50 yard and in drills or your going out with nephews who are just blasting for fun why the hell would you pay for or use 77s.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Exactly! But if you are doing a 50 yard and in drills or your going out with nephews who are just blasting for fun why the hell would you pay for or use 77s.
    You wouldn't. And wouldn't know if you were getting 1 moa or 5 moa.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You wouldn't. And wouldn't know if you were getting 1 moa or 5 moa.
    Exactly. And just like knowing what weapon to bring to the party, (based on use case) you should know what ammo to bring to the party (based on use case). Wolf gold was never intended to be sub moa ammo. It was intended to be cheap brass training ammo. Hence why I'm confused with all the bitching

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast