Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree. However I'd still have concerns about firing ammo that's outside of 5 MOA... especially if some might get fired through a can.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. However I'd still have concerns about firing ammo that's outside of 5 MOA... especially if some might get fired through a can.
    I agree with that but as I said previously I have shot at minimum of 10k of WG and 80% of that was suppressed = no issues. But I am also not seeing 5 moa out of any of the cases I have gone through. I have not purchased a case in a while so maybe it has all gone to crap but that is not my impression.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Same here. Never had any issues with a can. I’m also not seeing 5 MOA except for in the worst group. The average seems to be around 3.5.-4.0

A far cry from the “sub MOA all day” crowd

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It is certainly a far cry from the “sub MOA all day". I generally get around 3 moa. I have an LMT that hates the stuff and a larue that loves it. I have gotten sub moa groups out of it with the Larue but they were 5 or 6 round groups. If you try to go 10 I always get a high flyer.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

I seem to remember you having a problem with a wandering zero or something with a suppressor a few months ago. Was that you?
    That might have been me. I was asking how everyone was getting all these small groups I was hearing about. It's starting to make a lot more sense now that I see those groups. Now I was shooting some different ammo but WG 2013 was some of it and I would POIs that jumped all over the place. I'm not sure what I was doing would be classified as groups. They looked somewhat like a worse version of that target above. There was some operator error involved with me though. But at least I know now the ammo is suspect as well.

I have since had someone else tell me, that is a good shooter, that I simply need to bite the bullet and buy a box or two of good match ammo to set a benchmark. Then work with the cheap stuff from there.... not to mention learning to actually shoot properly.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    That might have been me. I was asking how everyone was getting all these small groups I was hearing about. It's starting to make a lot more sense now that I see those groups. Now I was shooting some different ammo but WG 2013 was some of it and I would POIs that jumped all over the place. I'm not sure what I was doing would be classified as groups. They looked somewhat like a worse version of that target above. There was some operator error involved with me though. But at least I know now the ammo is suspect as well.

I have since had someone else tell me, that is a good shooter, that I simply need to bite the bullet and buy a box or two of good match ammo to set a benchmark. Then work with the cheap stuff from there.... not to mention learning to actually shoot properly.
    I’m glad I did. I’ve had a whole bunch of uppers and never actually tested to see what they could do until recently. I also assumed problems were because of me but I’ve been able to produce decent groups with good barrels and ammo so it helps to get that baseline. Finally, I’m also much happier with my zeros after getting a good bipod and rear bag. Not necessary, but it makes sense to use every advantage when zeroing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I need a better rear bag for sure. All the benches are different where I shoot too. I did get a nice bipod and it is a major help but I am still trying to figure what I need for a rear bag. I have a wedge but it's slick and not quite big enough.

I generally run out of height on the rear. I keep pulling back and next thing I know I'm looking for a 2x4 or something to raise it up. Then that slides around.

Feedback Score
    Just for some data, 2017 vintage Wolf Gold, gathered using a MagnetoSpeed V3.

Out of my Centurion Arms 11.5" with a Surefire SOCOM556-RC2, was about 4 MOA at 100 yards (front and rear rest, using an Aimpoint CompM5 with a G33, usually gets 1 to 1.5 MOA in a 10 shot Speer Gold Dot 75 gr at 100 yards); POI shift from Gold Dot 75 gr was about 1 mil up and to the left. In a 10 shot group, the average velocity was 2823 FPS, high of 2943 FPS, low of 2751 FPS, SD of 68.1 FPS.

Out of my Centurion Arms 14.5" (cut down of a 16") with a Surefire SOCOM556-RC, was also about 4 MOA at 100 yards (front and rear rest, using an Kahles K16i, usually gets 1 MOA in a 10 shot Speer Gold Dot 75 gr at 100 yards); POI shift from Gold Dot 75 gr was about 1 mil low. In a 10 shot group, the average velocity was 2885 FPS, max of 2922 FPS, low of 2837 FPS, SD of 28.5 FPS.

So, yeah, the 11.5" was really weird. Had two readings that were >2900 FPS in that string of ten, and 3 readings <2800 FPS. Ammo was stored indoors; didn't sit in the sun or anything that day, really, although ambient temperature was >100 °F (wind was minimal). I'll probably rerun the 11.5" when I get a chance, although I've never had the MagnetoSpeed act up before.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-30-19 at 18:18.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Cheap range ammo produces results one would expect from cheap range ammo.

Surprising!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TH76251556 View Post
    Cheap range ammo produces results one would expect from cheap range ammo.

Surprising!
    I think expectations are the entire point of the thread. Do you have anything quantifiable and/or objective to add or did you post just to be a smart ass?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast