Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I was just getting ready to ask could that be the chamber of the rifle they were fired from.

Bold: So doesn't that go away when you reload them? How do you keep the crimp?
    The crimp is removed to reload, but they still have a tight primer pocket AFTER crimp removal. That's what I meant.... I kinda wrote it as though the crimp remains.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Got it, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the Wolf brass cases are out of spec.

I picked up a couple dozen once fired from the ground at the range...

To be clear: Did these come out of your gun? Or did you just pick up random brass?

If the latter, then God only knows how many times it was fired, or in what...

Feedback Score
    If the primer pocket is still tight, perhaps you’ve not fully removed the crimp. I’ve seen people do that. Additionally, a uniformer can make them much smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    To be clear: Did these come out of your gun? Or did you just pick up random brass?

If the latter, then God only knows how many times it was fired, or in what...
    No idea.

But it's like Hornady .45 ACP brass. Every one I run across has a too- tight primer pocket. And only Hornady.

So I suspect the same story with Wolf .223.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I reload my ammo but even with a 650 I get sick of it at times & will buy a case or 2 of commercial ammo to supplement. So there are several cases worth of Wolf Gold brass in my mix that was all 1x fired by me. There is nothing wrong with their brass.

I run all my military brass thru a Dillon 600 SS so maybe that's the difference, but it does nothing to uniform pockets - just swages crimp. I use CCI #41, Wolf SRM, & Fiocchi SRM primers - none of those seem to feel any different in the pocket vs LC or WCC brass.

I never saw any of the issues from this thread with it - as good as any other 55gr FMJ factory ammo to me. Only ran thru 6 cases of it so maybe just got lucky, but have a very favorable opinion of it. Not even qualifying "for under $300 case it's good ammo for the $".....my experience was it's good ammo period. Had no ammo related failures that I remember and didn't notice any accuracy degradation vs other commercial ammo...not that i shoot FMJ for groups or precision @ longer ranges.....
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I shot more wolf gold today out of a different rifle. There is absolutely a difference in the lots, but it is by year than by lot itself. Lot to lot consistency seems ok as long as the year is before 2017.

Lot #s that begin with 2016 and older are significantly more accurate than 2017 and later. I stopped buying the stuff and now just buy federal XM193 which is about on par accuracy wise with the <2017 stuff.

I’d be curious if anyone else can confirm.

Re-reading this thread I must say that I am terribly sorry for upsetting some of you by bringing actual data to the forum. I can’t believe guys are actually all like “muhhh it’s just plinking ammo”. Way to prove you don’t shoot challenging targets. Anyone who feels that way should go back to arguing about lubricants.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-03-20 at 14:38. Reason: Deleted the part about calling people “bitches”

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I completely agree. Definitely pre 2016 ammo is more accurate as I purchased a bunch of cases pre election that I have burned through.

The newer cases are 2.5 to 4 moa depending on the gun. My current case has been consistent 2.5 to 2.75 moa out of a Hodge 12.5. Same with my Larue. Those have been the two guns I have been shooting the most lately besides 300 black & ak74s.

PS some people dont have access to challenging targets so they use it for 50y and in drills.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I shot more wolf gold today out of a different rifle. There is absolutely a difference in the lots, but it is by year than by lot itself. Lot to lot consistency seems ok as long as the year is before 2017.

Lot #s that begin with 2016 and older are significantly more accurate than 2017 and later. I stopped buying the stuff and now just buy federal XM193 which is about on par accuracy wise with the <2017 stuff.

I’d be curious if anyone else can confirm.

Re-reading this thread I must say that I am terribly sorry for upsetting all of you by bringing actual data to the forum. I can’t believe some of you idiots are all “muhhh it’s just plinking ammo”. Way to prove you don’t shoot challenging targets. You bitches should go back to arguing about lubricants and VP9s.
    Guess I'm just a bitch who likes his VP9, but I'm not shooting FMJ at "challenging targets" in the first place.....

You are so freaking abrasive.......
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMV View Post
    Guess I'm just a bitch who likes his VP9, but I'm not shooting FMJ at "challenging targets" in the first place.....

You are so freaking abrasive.......
    Did you not see the many abrasive posts written by others? Or do you have Eurodriver Derangement Syndrome like so many?

It’s not like I just woke up out of nowhere and wrote that bro.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast