Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My review of Wolf Gold. Edit: Post 83 batch testing pics

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did you pull any of the suspect ammo down? Measure the bullets or powder charges? I've shot about 4 or 5 cases of the stuff out of 3 rifles and have had zero probs. I find it very weird that you got such large groups yet none look like they keyholed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Did you pull any of the suspect ammo down? Measure the bullets or powder charges?
    Or can you tell us the lot # of the stuff that was shit?

I stockpiled four cases of Wolf Gold (in advance of California's ban on online sales), because I'd had good experiences with it.

(Good for the price: It's reliable and shoots 3-4" groups at 100yds.)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Did you pull any of the suspect ammo down? Measure the bullets or powder charges? I've shot about 4 or 5 cases of the stuff out of 3 rifles and have had zero probs. I find it very weird that you got such large groups yet none look like they keyholed.
    I did pull the bullets down but didn’t measure anything. Just looked for deformities. Didn’t see anything unusual.

The velocities I was getting with my Magnetospeed were

Avg: 2889
    Max: 2927
    Min: 2861
    SD: 21.6

Nothing unusual there, and this was a “bad” batch that shot the 100yd target in the picture.

Feedback Score
    Any commercially manufactured ammo batch can suck, from any manufacturer. Obviously, it happens less with some, and is less common these days.

Did you consider contacting the company for a refund or some type of action to compensate you? That may ask you to send it back for replacement. Can’t hurt...

Take care,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So, ammo you've used for years, doesn't shoot for shit out of a (one) brand new upper, and your conclusion is "Wolf Gold is shit"?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sounds like effed up bullets. Horrible jackets or something. I wouldn't run that stuff through a suppressor, Rico Suave!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what the OP would want to take away from this thread.
    Why is it so hard? If anything lacks understanding it me trying to figure out why you’ve posted the same question twice and still haven’t figured it out.

What does the OP hope to get out of the discussion?
    He wants to know if other shooters have experienced similar issues with Wolf Gold, which appears to be getting a bad batch of ammo that he can’t hit the broadside of a barn with.

Are you offended by his criticism of Wolf Gold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what the OP would want to take away from this thread.
    Shoot much?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deanq View Post
    So, ammo you've used for years, doesn't shoot for shit out of a (one) brand new upper, and your conclusion is "Wolf Gold is shit"?
    Did you see the thread I posted about Colt keyholing with Wolf Gold? Did you pick up that I shot a BCM 16" and my 12.5" and they both shot the same batch poorly? I've made other threads that I didn't allude to in the OP with other known-brand uppers shooting poorly (namely, LMT. Firefly posted about it in the 2nd reply) and they all have one variable in common - Wolf Gold.

How many shares of Wolf do you and Killick own?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I've sworn by Wolf Gold for almost 5 years. It's been the exclusive round for SBRs at Swamp De Eurodriver for NV, long range, plinking, training, etc.

Recently, I got a new batch. I mix my ammo up so I cant tell lots without taking the actual boxes apart, but it coincided with a new BCM 16". I thought the rifle was broken, the groups were about 15" at 100 yards. It was terrible. But then I loaded a new mag (with a different box) and it shot acceptably. About 3" at 100 yards.

I made this thread a few weeks ago.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-one-of-these)

In it I posted a 5 round group, and a video of me shooting steel at 200 & 300 yards.

Here it is again for post-whoring effect:

As you can see, it shot pretty well. Afterward, I took it out to 600y and my buddy and I were shooting a full size steel silhouette with almost 100% reliability. Again, wolf gold.

Then, last weekend I brought that same rifle out with more wolf gold to do velocity testing with my Magnetospeed (will get the data up tonight. It's on the memory card still)

I decided to shoot at 300y, and out of 10 rounds could not hit the steel once. I wasn't barely missing. I was 2 feet off. It was bad. So I dragged my shit over to 100 and shot these groups. The pic is kind of hard to follow, as not all of those rounds are one shooter (I had 2 other known shooters give it a shot) and some of the rounds at target 6 actually were in the top right of the paper. Still, you can tell it isn't very pretty.

I thought there was something wrong with the gun or optic. Then I thought back to this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Colt-M4/page2

So I went back to the range today with my Precision Rifle Handloads and shot 2 five round groups (it was pouring and the RSOs were rushing me to get done so they could close the range for lightning. I have no doubt these groups would shrink (they are 1.3 & 1.25 respectively) if I didn't shoot all 10 rounds in less than 30 seconds in a howling storm. Even still, 1.25" at 100 yards is a marked improvement from the 8"-10" nonsense I was getting with Wolf Gold. For what its worth, I am not comparing handloads to wolf gold. I just wanted to shoot a proven load to verify that there was nothing wrong with the rifle.

My conclusion is as follows: Wolf Gold is shit. I will never buy it again, and the ammo I have on hand will be used solely for close range drills and plinking. Obviously there are batches out there that are well made, but if I can't trust it I won't use it. It makes no sense to have a $6,000 firearm and shoot ammo through it that may or may not fail you.

I am very curious if anyone else has experienced similar situations. I will from now on only be buying IMI or LC stamped 55gr ammo.
    I have had crazy variability, but it is usually the mount / scope issues. I shot some 308 surplus that shot 6-8 inch groups with no idea the cause. I agree with no mas' WG, "burn me once your fault, burn me twice my fault".

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast