Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me figure out why my new LaRue MBT is sticking/doesn't feel right

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Looking at the second pic, appears that the material in front of the safety body is misaligned. Is it the pic angle or is that portion rubbing?
    It doesn't seem to be rubbing. It it possible the trigger is misaligned? The trigger pin went in pretty easy, and this has happened each time I've reinstalled it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    What safety are you using? From what I can see it looks like mil spec, which should be fine, but I did have a similar problem with an MBT and BAD-CASS short throw. I had read that there was some grinding and polishing I could do to get them to work together, but in the end, I just ended up installing a Colt ambi safety and everything with the trigger started working properly. Do you have another safety you can try? I have some extras I could help you out with if you don't, just pm me.
    I am using a milspec selector, and this is the only one I have. I don't think it's contacting the safety? Thank you for your offer, I will let you know if that turns out to be the problem. This is also my only lower, just built the gun, so unfortunately I don't have another one I can try

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Check to make sure the disconnecter spring is installed correctly.
    There is no disconnect to check. It's pre-assembled from LaRue.

Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Looking at the second pic, appears that the material in front of the safety body is misaligned. Is it the pic angle or is that portion rubbing?
    Probably a trick of lighting. One of my pics I didn't post is the same way. That part looks beveled in his picture, but it's actually radiused off.

Quote Originally Posted by gregr507 View Post
    It doesn't seem to be rubbing. It it possible the trigger is misaligned? The trigger pin went in pretty easy, and this has happened each time I've reinstalled it

I am using a milspec selector, and this is the only one I have. I don't think it's contacting the safety? Thank you for your offer, I will let you know if that turns out to be the problem. This is also my only lower, just built the gun, so unfortunately I don't have another one I can try
    There really isn't any way to get it misaligned, the pin goes in or it doesn't. Your selector looks like it has plenty of clearance, but you can't see the piece where the tail of the trigger is under it. As mentioned above, make sure the trigger bow itself isn't dragging on the opening in the bottom of the lower, mine is VERY close to rubbing.

The "feel" of this trigger should be about 2lbs of takeup for a quarter inch or so with no grittiness at all, then a fairly clean 4# break. If there is grittiness in the first stage, look really close for rubbing in the trigger opening at the bottom of the lower.

At that point the only source of "grittiness" is within the trigger itself and that's a LaRue problem.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 06-09-19 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

There really isn't any way to get it misaligned, the pin goes in or it doesn't. Your selector looks like it has plenty of clearance, but you can't see the piece where the tail of the trigger is under it. As mentioned above, make sure the trigger bow itself isn't dragging on the opening in the bottom of the lower, mine is VERY close to rubbing.

The "feel" of this trigger should be about 2lbs of takeup for a quarter inch or so with no grittiness at all, then a fairly clean 4# break. If there is grittiness in the first stage, look really close for rubbing in the trigger opening at the bottom of the lower.

At that point the only source of "grittiness" is within the trigger itself and that's a LaRue problem.
    If it is rubbing where the trigger drops in, what would my options be? I got a glimpse of how it should feel when I first installed the light trigger spring, and I loved it. It seemed good at first (I think) but then went back to heavier and grittier.
    Last edited by gregr507; 06-09-19 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is no disconnect to check. It's pre-assembled from LaRue.
    That doesn't mean they assembled it correctly.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That doesn't mean they assembled it correctly.
    It's captured, there's no reason for them to used the tapered style disconecter spring on this trigger. I guess they could of, but I doubt it. Also, it uses a rivet type pin to assemble the trigger and disconnecter, so not easy to disassemble.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 06-09-19 at 22:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregr507 View Post
    If it is rubbing where the trigger drops in, what would my options be? I got a glimpse of how it should feel when I first installed the light trigger spring, and I loved it. It seemed good at first (I think) but then went back to heavier and grittier.
    You can file the hole a little larger in the bottom of the lower, or file away on the trigger. If it's rubbing, I'd modify the lower, but that's just me. Many will say just send the trigger back.

Feedback Score
    You can file the hole a little larger in the bottom of the lower, or file away on the trigger. If it's rubbing, I'd modify the lower, but that's just me. Many will say just send the trigger back.
    So I disassembled it again, this time greasing the trigger hole in the lower and the sides of the trigger, and it feels much better. There's still a little grit in the first stage, but it resets normally now and the pull weight feels more like what I would expect, although maybe still a little heavy and it feels like it might be getting heavier as I try to work it in. Sounds like maybe the trigger hole in the lower might be scraping the trigger? I will probably try filing it a bit, but I can't tell exactly where it's making contact. This might be a temporary fix, but it would be a pain to have to keep regreasing it there every time.
    Last edited by gregr507; 06-09-19 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No issues like that with mine. You might just be able to polish the edges of the opening with one of those emory boards for finger nails. The fact it loosens up with grease means it's really close to being o.k.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Call them up and send it back.

Seriously, it’s bound to happen to someone as it’s a man made item. Things go wrong, and that isn’t a negative reflection on the company. If you call and get insulted, mocked, and or called names, that is a negative reflection of the company. It’s just a trigger, they will make it right.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The odds of the PSA lower being out of spec is probably greater than a LaRue trigger being out of spec. You never know, though.

The MBT trigger is tight in the openings of my BCM and D.D. lowers, definitely more so than a GI or Geissele.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast