Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range report : Colt CM 308 gas gun

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's a 3 round effort with that low magnification scope.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    If this thread existed a few weeks ago I would’ve bought one over my Havak bravo. I really wanted one but had the same reservations.

What caused the short stroking? Did you chrono it?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If this thread existed a few weeks ago I would’ve bought one over my Havak bravo. I really wanted one but had the same reservations.

What caused the short stroking? Did you chrono it?
    No idea why it short stroked. I cant imagine Colt planned this. I wouldn't trust the next would be the same. I'd buy a 308 tomorrow if I knew it would be gassed the same. We, of course, expected to be way over gassed then it short stroked multiple times. Because we started without a can to see if it would run. Then after scratching our heads, we screwed on the Sig 762 can and it ran like a top. 3 to 3:30 ejecting and soft. Still scratching my head. We didn't Chrono because my back is out, my knee is out, my leg is jacked up , I didn't have a ranch run in me, ....so we went to a local range to at least sight it in and check vague accuracy.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-10-19 at 21:38.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice setup. My gas block was not "pushed" in as far as it should be and it caused some bad short stroking. Readjusted it and bam, no more short strokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Have you looked into this cycling further?

Checked gas block alignment / measured gas port?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    No idea why it short stroked. I cant imagine Colt planned this. I wouldn't trust the next would be the same. I'd buy a 308 tomorrow if I knew it would be gassed the same. We, of course, expected to be way over gassed then it short stroked multiple times. Because we started without a can to see if it would run. Then after scratching our heads, we screwed on the Sig 762 can and it ran like a top. 3 to 3:30 ejecting and soft. Still scratching my head. We didn't Chrono because my back is out, my knee is out, my leg is jacked up , I didn't have a ranch run in me, ....so we went to a local range to at least sight it in and check vague accuracy.

PB
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    So, if I was going to get into long range shooting down the road, do you see a benefit to a $1400 bergara bolt gun vs this?
    I was pretty much sold on the Bergara, but this thread has me 2nd guessing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We haven't dug into the gassing on this gun at all. I'm reluctant to tear a gun apart if I don't need to.

As far as Bergara vs. this Gun? Hard to say. Both are nice. The longer barrel on the bolt gun will give you more reach, but the capacity/rate of fire on the Colt is greater. Depends on the kind of shooting you see yourself doing. I like a suppressed bolt gun (personally) over a gas gun... but it is nice to load up a mag and see how few rounds it takes to hit every target in the range. "walk it out" as we call it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Gunner, be aware the Colts configuration is somewhat proprietary, soil you go Cut, it needs to be the whole gun. Best of luck.
    PB, great looking rifle. Checking out the 6.5 CM version.

Have you seen anywhere a list of the proprietary colt-only components in this rifle? Haven't been able to find that for this new version. I'm assuming all the usual suspects are standard: stock interface, pistol grip, triggers, etc. And no doubt, a proprietary BCG. Wonder what the barrel upgrade options would be?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Have you seen anywhere a list of the proprietary colt-only components in this rifle? Haven't been able to find that for this new version. I'm assuming all the usual suspects are standard: stock interface, pistol grip, triggers, etc. And no doubt, a proprietary BCG. Wonder what the barrel upgrade options would be?
    The BCG was the most noteworthy. The trigger group is standard except for the longer pins that fit the forging. I still installed a Geissele for Pappabear using the shorter pins though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The BCG was the most noteworthy. The trigger group is standard except for the longer pins that fit the forging. I still installed a Geissele for Pappabear using the shorter pins though.
    Thx Mark. Have you by chance checked out the barrel or know what the upgrade options are? If I get one I'd probably stick with the 18" for a while, but I'd probably want to upgrade to something longer, maybe a proof.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast