Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 BO sbr and suppressed help....

Feedback Score

300 BO sbr and suppressed help....

I have tried searching all over the place and have received some mixed reviews. I would like some first hand experience with this if possible. I am looking to build a suppressed SBR that I can run subsonic ammo through to hunt hogs with. My shots are generally between 100 to 200 yards (sometimes I can squeeze in 30 to 70 yards). I know ammo has a lot to do with it so leaning towards LeHigh Defense subsonic rounds, but I want to make sure the 300 BO caliber is the way to go for this without having to over compensate on the aiming.

And to state the obvious this is with vital shot placement.

Feedback Score
    Msol87,

Check this link from 300 blk talk. It has a wealth of info on subsonic hunting.....

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=145&t=87186

Out of my 8” SBR shooting Beck ammunition with the 194gr Lehigh bullet I have gotten five shot average velocities of about 980fps.

Hornady 190gr Sub-X loads get just about the advertised 1050fps out of my Ruger American 16” so they’d be right around 950 to 1000 from my SBR.

Plug that into a ballistic calculator and you’ll see the parabolic trajectory. I ran the Hornady numbers just last week using a sight height of 1.5 (bolt gun, not AR) and a zero distance of 60yds and got;

50yds +.6
    75yds -1.5
    100yds -5.7
    125yds -12
    150yds 20.7
    175yds -31.5
    200yds -44.8

I didn’t record the residual velocity nor energy at these ranges.

Knowing your come-ups will be critical for hits. And you’ll have to judge at what distance you just don’t have enough oomph left to do the job humanely. I have never hunted hogs so I can’t weight in on that. Well, I could. But as I’m not a liberal I try not to speak with authority on topics I know nothing about!

As far as whether the 300blk is the way to go for subsonics, it is as good as any 30 caliber. A subsonic 308Win or subsonic 300Win Mag will all have the slow velocity. So using a more powerful 30 caliber is just wasted case capacity for subsonic loads. If you’ll be using factory ammo, the 300blk has the benefit of having purpose-built projectiles like the Lehigh, Hornady Sub-X, Maker, etc. If you roll your own (I do not) you could load these bullets into any 30cal cartridge I suppose.

Subsonic loads in a 6.5 or something that might have a better B.C. might not drop as much, but I have no experience with any subsonic ammo other than the 300blk and 22LR.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Why subsonic for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by msol87 View Post
    I have tried searching all over the place and have received some mixed reviews. I would like some first hand experience with this if possible. I am looking to build a suppressed SBR that I can run subsonic ammo through to hunt hogs with. My shots are generally between 100 to 200 yards (sometimes I can squeeze in 30 to 70 yards). I know ammo has a lot to do with it so leaning towards LeHigh Defense subsonic rounds, but I want to make sure the 300 BO caliber is the way to go for this without having to over compensate on the aiming.

And to state the obvious this is with vital shot placement.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the lead and all the information shared. thank you!

Feedback Score
    I am looking to reduce the noise as much as possible as I'm consistently taking folks out who have never taken a hog down. Secondly I also take my toddler out with me often so reducing the recoil and noise will also be extremely beneficial there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by msol87 View Post
    I am looking to reduce the noise as much as possible as I'm consistently taking folks out who have never taken a hog down. Secondly I also take my toddler out with me often so reducing the recoil and noise will also be extremely beneficial there.
    When you get it set up, try running some supersonic rounds through it with a can. The can will dampen the muzzle blast but the sonic xcrack will still be heard.

In my experience, the subsonics un-suppressed are still loud, you just don’t get the sonic crack. If you want to go that route, look into an integral suppressed gun so you just need one tax stamp.

Feedback Score
    I would strongly recommend against subsonics for hunting in your case.

If you have other people, even more so young children I would want supers. I would want more than 300 Blackout as well. (6.5, .243, etc... something with some speed behind it.) If you have a pig, or a sounder, run at you 300 (even supers) is hard to put them down when they are amped up and moving. With little kids, I wouldn't take those chances, pigs can mess you up quickly.

If you DO hunt with subs, you have to treat it like bow hunting. You have to know range VERY very well, and expect them to not drop immediately. At 100-200, you're going to have a very difficult time hunting with subs. That's beyond the "reasonable" range for them. You've got ~14" of drop at 100, so knowing exact range and hold is crucial. Don't get me wrong, I've killed pigs with 9mm subs, 22LR subs, 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, .243, .308, 45, all kinds of stuff. I don't hunt with a single guy who seriously uses subs (other than just screwing around to trying their luck at something.)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    As someone who has hunted with a 14.5” 300BO using supersonic ammo out to 330 yards (and has a lot of time with subs at paper) I will strongly recommend against using subsonic rounds out to 200.

After 165 yards or so your round begins dropping 1” per yard of distance travelled and increases to almost 2” at 200y.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Do not use subsonic 300BO for hunting. You know what’s more traumatizing for a child or new hunter than the crack of a loud round? Having to pump 20 more into a wounded animal as it tries to get away screaming.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Make sure your barrel has a fast twist rate if shooting primarily subs especially for accuracy. At a minimum 1:7. I run a 1:6. Q Honey Badger is 1:5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast