Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I AIWB?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you tried a foam wedge on your holster?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Like the OP, I was very frustrated with AIWB at first. It was not comfortable when sitting at all. The secret for me was replacing the belt clip on my T Rex Arms Raptor with an Ulti-Clip. I then clip the holster to my pants waistband instead of a belt.

Since the Ulti-Clip is attached to my pants, it affords me a little bit of up and down movement. When I'm sitting, I can pull the clip and holster up to keep the barrel end from digging into my hip/groin. When I'm standing, I can push down on the clip to let it sit lower and conceal well. I still wear a sturdy belt, which keeps my pants from sagging. I carry a PPS, so there's not much weight there to begin with.

Another perk of this set up is that the Ulti Clip is attached to my pants, so it's behind my belt with no visible clips, which is nice when wearing a tucked shirt
    Last edited by HCrum87hc; 07-03-19 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hburn View Post
    Have you tried a foam wedge on your holster?
    Yes.

Both on my Eidolon and my Keeper (and I've tried a few different positions on the Keeper).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    In case anyone is wondering, it seems the secret (for me) is wearing a big, baggy hoodie.

Bought a one-size-larger-than-normal Carhartt hoodie (in a Tall size - which is normal for me, anyway) - and I've finally gotten a gun to conceal in a satisfactory (to me) level while carried AIWB.

Other ingredients:
    -Milt Sparks belt
    -PHLster Floodlight for X300U (with the wider Modwing)
    -STI Staccato P DUO w/ X300U-B (magwell still attached)

Next I'll have to figure out how to make it work without looking like a bum!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Have you tried his belt?

MEGINGJÖRÐ - AIWB SPECIFIC - CONCEAL CARRY BELT

I've found I do not cinch my belt as tight while carrying AIWB as I do strong side and carry slightly lower at the same time a major factor is to keep the holster out of your pelvic crease.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My Milt Sparks is definitely a noch or two further out than when I carry behind the hip.
    - Samuel Adams -

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I find most leather holsters add too much bulk. I prefer thinner kydex for holsters with the belt clip offset over the trigger guard rather than on the slide.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like it's not for you.

I started out AIWB over 20 years ago but later went IWB behind the hip. Walking and bending over became much more comfortable. Concealment is better, too.

I could also carry a bigger gun if I wanted.

For AIWB you need something with a short barrel for increased mobility. A snub revolver or pistol with a well-under 4 inch barrel.

I only appendix carry when driving more than usual. Very comfortable, quick draw.

Also, I only recommend guns with heavier, longer trigger pulls (at least for the first shot) for appendix carry. But that's another discussion.

Good luck, but consider behind the hip carry.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I've been carrying behind the hip for over a decade, now.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of holsters that I can buy now and carry my STI now that would allow me to carry there with at least an RMR on it, if not also the X300U.
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Added a foam wedge to my PHLster Floodlight and it's now more comfortable. Probably conceals better, too, but we'll see.
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast