Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I AIWB?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

How I AIWB?

I have an Eidolon (one of the January 2015 pre-release holsters).

I had a CNC Keroman.

I have a Dale Fricke.

I have an Incog.

I have a Keeper.

I have a ripoff of a Wilderness Instructor belt (I had an actual Wilderness, I don't know where it went, but I have a 5.11 clone).

I have an Ares Aegis.

I have a Mean Gene Aegis.

I have a Magpul Tejas el Original.

I have a Milt Sparks leather belt.

I have tried a Glock 43, a Glock 19, an Agency Roland Special (Agency tricked out G19 with comp, X300, RMR), an Agency Fauxland Special (Agency tricked out G17 with short comp, RMR, with and without X300), and most recently a Beretta 92G Elite LTT.

I have read almost everything I can on the subject. I've watched videos of skinny dudes and fat dudes explaining how they make AIWB work for them.

So far, I've been able to get it comfortable. Or concealed. Or neither. But not both. It's frustrating.

Any advice? Or should I just accept that AIWB won't work for me and truck on with my behind the hip OWB/IWB ways?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    What are you usually doing when you carry like this? Are you sitting, driving or bending over a lot?
    Is the holster digging into your pelvis or is the grip digging into your stomach?

Appendix carry isn't great for sitting or bending over, just the nature of where the barrel sits.

Sometimes people have them riding too deep, the Incog has a deep concealment clip and if you move it up a set of screw holes it might be more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What kind of pants do you usually wear? Younger guys seem to like pants with lower waistbands which make it harder to conceal and get comfortable

Where at on your belt line are you carrying?

For a starting point I would sugges
    ... a normal pair of pants/jeans not designer or fitted type
    ... Cnc or keeper holster
    ... a less stiff belt, something suitable for strongside carry is to stiff and doesn’t let the AIWB holster features work
    ... 1 o’clock or 11 if a lefty

That combo should be either comfortable or concealable then you can tweak position etc to get both

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have cargo pants from TAD and Crye, Carhartt's, an old-er pair of TAD jeans (which are probably more designer than anything else I own - and I don't think I've tried to AIWB in them... maybe ever).

I have tried just about everything from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, but I mostly try to get it so the barrel of the gun sits in the crease between by thigh and my groin around 1-ish o'clock.

The 5.11 riggers belt knockoff is pretty flexible.

And I can kinda sit down. I can't really bend over to tie my shoes, though. And I'm confused by Keepers writing that he can comfortably sit, stand, bend over, &c. with an AIWB holster. In fact... that seems to be a lot of what I've read about AIWB: How comfortable it is. How it doesn't limit the way they move and the ways they can move, like "traditional" behind the hip carry.

The most recent time I tried it, I was wearing Carhartt's, the 5.11 rigger belt, and a Keepers Keeper... and I guess I didn't have it adjusted properly, cuz I got a hot spot from the holster on my thigh.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I wear mine at 12 o'clock so it's not riding into the thigh. It does pose some logistics issues if you need to use a public bathroom as you need to use a stall to remove the holster to do your business.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The raven vanguard 2 has been the best as it adds no width and you can trim the tab up front if needed for comfort.
    I just slide it to the 2oclock for urinal use.

I use either a wilderness competition 1.5” belt or nexbelt gun belt depending on dress. For tight shirts, i cant the gun more to help conceal it.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    G 19 in Blade Tech Klipit ambi. I am 5' 10", 170. I have driven 10 hour days with it in comfort. Conceals well in just a tee shirt.

Feedback Score
    It took me a while but the Eidolon conceals better than anything else I've tried. Some days it isn't as comfortable as others but overall its a trade off worth making for me. The other days I have no discomfort so I can't pinpoint the difference yet...

But I have a bin full of holsters so I'd say keep plugging away and you'll get there. Or try parts of two, I did the Incog clips on the Eidolon for a while too.

Feedback Score
    I'm 6' 2" 220lbs and appendix a G45 w/X300u in a HOLSTERCO Stealth LB with relative comfort and little to no printing. I'm either running a Mean Gene Aegis belt or an old SOE EDC belt I have. I find a stiffer belt worn a little looser is better than a
    "floppier" belt cinched down too tight. I'm not going to say I haven't been stabbed in the genitals with the X300U or that it's comfortable all the time but it's been much better than it used to be now that I have a system down. You have to change the way you bend over and pick things up and sitting down might take a slight adjustment.

If you have't down so, position your buckle at 10 or 11 o' clock. Also, printing should be pretty minimal with appendix anyway but if you're worrying about printing, don't. I line up the barrel between the thigh and the junk at around 1230-1245ish. I think belt and holster combination have the biggest influence on comfort. The stiffer SOE belt has been more comfortable than the slightly less stiff Mean Gene for example. At least in my experience.
    Worry less, Train more.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6’5” and 255. Tried several holsters and just gave up. Anything close to comfort and AIWB do not exist in my universe - not when sitting or bending are involved. Luckily I wear shirts out 99% of the time so OWB is my default.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast