Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSA 300blk upper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone for all the replies...I think I’ll try and Save my money for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I can't speak to the 300blk but my wife shoots a $219 PSA 5.56 pencil upper + PSA nickel boron BCG. She's now starting on a third case of M193. Recreational use. Flawless operation.

Feedback Score
    At 800 rounds my PSA M4 is doing fine.

Feedback Score
    26 INF...I appreciate the discourse, and I don't mind being corrected. All good brother.

The only "proof" I have is four BCG's, all Toolcraft, with an interesting mix of bolts. One of them is from a PSA upper purchase, and this is where things get interesting. But first, the specs:

- 2 BCG's are phosphate coated with C-158 HPT/MPI bolts (bolts are marked as such). These are OEM for a well-known brand. One has the cage code "1B1B6" on the left side, the other has "Made In USA". Both were authenticated by TC, even though they were never questionable for me.
    - 1 BCG is Toolcraft-branded retail purchase with a Nitride finish and a 9310 MPI bolt. The bolt is marked "MPI". The carrier has no markings but Toolcraft authenticated it for me.
    - 1 BCG came with a PSA 5.56 upper purchase. The ad listed it as a C-158 shot peened MPI bolt, etc. etc.. It has no markings at all, so I called PSA and they told me it was a Toolcraft BCG. I then contacted Toolcraft and sent them some pictures (they asked for them) and they confirmed that it was their carrier but that they do not manufacture bolts, they outsource them. When I asked for details, they would not tell me where my bolt was sourced from or what testing standards it might or might not of had other than alluding that the markings (or lack thereof) were indicative. Damn, I said. When I called PSA back about this, they gave me the run around. So, buyer beware.

When Toolcraft gets back to you, I'd like to know what they tell you. FWIW, I do trust that Toolcraft will take care of me if anything goes sideways. When I called them about my nitride BCG being unmarked, I was very reassured by TC that they will back their product 100% and that they can tell if it's their product or not (although she could not tell me exactly what marks or contours signify a TC product). The CS person was very helpful and friendly (even though she purposely couldn't answer all of my questions).

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'll follow up with Toolcraft tomorrow, they might tell me.

I tend to agree with this in most cases: As a cautionary tale, if the product doesn't list it, don't expect it.

ETA: I know that post was kind of dickie. It just gets me that folks will bag on manufacturers as not being up to snuff, when apparently they don't shoot the stuff. Not directed at you, rather at the guy(s) who let it slip on occassion "I haven't been able to get to the range for several years" or "I couldn't shoot it past 25 because that is all my range allows."

I said what I have to say about PSA in an earlier post: Notice, at no time did I say PSA was top quality. But, IMO, PSA is acceptable quality for the AVERAGE user, and with massaging, perfectly adequate for hard use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    When Toolcraft gets back to you, I'd like to know what they tell you.
    On recent and current production BCG's the bolts are marked MPI and HPT if HPT. All bolts are MPI'ed. Not all are HPT'ed. MPI and HPT (if HPT'ed) are done by the bolt manufacturer.

From the convo, Toolcraft is with KAC, as far as HPT is concerned. To paraphrase: 'If you absolutely build more BCG's than anyone on the planet, then you can dictate that your vendors provide you with the best quality product.' I got the distinct impression that because of this, Toolcraft would prefer batch testing over piece testing, but some customers demand piece testing.

I was also told that they cannot speak with complete certainty that ALL bolts are marked because they cannot know how quickly their customers go through inventory and what inventory control processes they use - LIFO, FIFO or JIT.

Nutshell - current bolts are marked MPI and, if tested, HPT. In the near future they will also be marked as to the material used.

There are 5 ways that Toolcraft can identify whether the components of a BCG originated with them. Those 5 ways are like the recipes for Cooca Cola or KFC, not for public dissemination.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-12-19 at 14:51.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the follow-up.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    On recent and current production BCG's the bolts are marked MPI and HPT if HPT. All bolts are MPI'ed. Not all are HPT'ed. MPI and HPT (if HPT'ed) are done by the bolt manufacturer.

From the convo, Toolcraft is with KAC, as far as HPT is concerned. To paraphrase: 'If you absolutely build more BCG's than anyone on the planet, then you can dictate that your vendors provide you with the best quality product.' I got the distinct impression that because of this, Toolcraft would prefer batch testing over piece testing, but some customers demand piece testing.

I was also told that they cannot speak with complete certainty that ALL bolts are marked because they cannot know how quickly their customers go through inventory and what inventory control processes they use - LIFO, FIFO or JIT.

Nutshell - current bolts are marked MPI and, if tested, HPT. In the near future they will also be marked as to the material used.

There are 5 ways that Toolcraft can identify whether the components of a BCG originated with them. Those 5 ways are like the recipes for Cooca Cola or KFC, not for public dissemination.

Feedback Score
    Ordered and received the PSA 7.5" 300 Blackout upper a couple of weeks ago. It was on sale for $229.99 shipped, and came with a nickle boron BCG and a charging handle. I put it on my Ruger AR556 Pistol lower and fired 100 rounds through it at the range. No problems at all using supersonic ammo, not a bobble.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GHMann View Post
    Ordered and received the PSA 7.5" 300 Blackout upper a couple of weeks ago. It was on sale for $229.99 shipped, and came with a nickle boron BCG and a charging handle. I put it on my Ruger AR556 Pistol lower and fired 100 rounds through it at the range. No problems at all using supersonic ammo, not a bobble.
    Do us a favor and keep track of rounds fired and any problems.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I just had a complete PSA upper in my class a few weeks back. This was supposed to be part of their "premium line" with a CHF barrel. The rail appeared to be low grade Chinesium. The barrel/gas block weren't dimpled at all. The extractor spring was also very weak and missing the extractor spring insert.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Picked up a psa 300 bo upper for 260 shipped.
    For pig hunting and the range. Too lazy to reload and 7.62x39 soft points and hollow points are cheap.

I’ve put 9 rounds thru the upper and put it in the safe. Waiting for wolf to make steel cased sp/hp. Until then, the 7.62x39 is what goes to the field and the range

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123