Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why did the 45 GAP/M37 Glock not catch on ?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    They haven't because once again, they are a business, and everything they do or don't do is based on market projections, sales, etc.

They have so much coming in from LE and .mil sales, worldwide, they still don't need to innovate as much as some other companies do, to stay profitable.

Again, look how long they took with things like interchangeable backstraps, the G42/G43/G48, etc.
    In terms of the new models, I think it's not so much that they don't HAVE to innovate, but rather their production capacity is limited. Every G43 is a G19 they're NOT making.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    In terms of the new models, I think it's not so much that they don't HAVE to innovate, but rather their production capacity is limited. Every G43 is a G19 they're NOT making.
    You engineer, you. Great point. Do you have knowledge of their production processes, i.e., do they have to actually shutdown a line of other pistols to make G43's?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They probably consider their production capacity, in those terms, to be "streamlined", rather than "limited".

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    You engineer, you. Great point. Do you have knowledge of their production processes, i.e., do they have to actually shutdown a line of other pistols to make G43's?
    I do not, but like VVV said, most modern manufacturing companies run a pretty lean production. They have the ability to ramp up, but they only do so carefully, considering the risks of getting stuck with stuff that wont sell. What we perceive as "lack of innovation" they see as "fiscal responsibility"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I do not, but like VVV said, most modern manufacturing companies run a pretty lean production. They have the ability to ramp up, but they only do so carefully, considering the risks of getting stuck with stuff that wont sell. What we perceive as "lack of innovation" they see as "fiscal responsibility"
    First, you're assuming that Glock has a top-notch market analysis operation. I'm glad they're not Sig, but I think it's more that they're incredibly risk averse (as many Germanic peoples can be). They likely make triple the profit, or more, on every civilian gun they sell vs. mil and LE contracts. Despite Glock being cagey with numbers, a significant portion of their profit is from civilian sales. Glock's product line is not Sig's and wouldn't even be close in schizoid terms with a few new models. Following some of your assumptions to their conclusion, Glock would only make gen 4 and 5 17s, 19s, and 26s, since that's likely 70%+ of their current sales and the only thing holding them back from selling more is manufacturing capacity.

They got burned on GAP, but I think they took the wrong lessons from it.

If they didn't need to innovate to sell guns beyond mil and LE, then there's no reason for them to build the 43x and 48. It's not like they're doing it out of the

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I would say, largely, due to the fact it doesn’t really do anything better than existing cartridges AND it costs a premium over the traditional 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.
    This is your answer right here.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    is the 45 gap ammo hard to find?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chingon View Post
    is the 45 gap ammo hard to find?
    Not really. SGammo has Gold Dots, S&B, Magtech and Winchester

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345