Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did the 45 GAP/M37 Glock not catch on ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why did the 45 GAP/M37 Glock not catch on ?

Just perusing the 2018 Glock catalog and I wonder why the 45 GAP ( Glock Auto Pistol ) cartridge / Model 37,38,39
    never really caught on ?
    It really was a great idea, 1/2" goodness in a Model 17 size frame.
    I just don't see them, don't know anyone who owns one.

Feedback Score
    I would say, largely, due to the fact it doesn’t really do anything better than existing cartridges AND it costs a premium over the traditional 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. The reality is that economics and narrowing performance gaps due to improving bullet technology is making everything besides 9mm an outlier for duty pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Because the market for people who want small frame pistols (9mm & 40S&W cartridge length) with large diameter bullets is very very small. Most people who want large diameter bullets buy 1911's anyway. A check of ammoseek.com shows that it costs about $30 more per case than 45ACP. I would have thought the difference would have been more.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I’m surprised anyone thought it was a good idea.

Maybe if it offered a similar recoil impulse to 9mm, I could see why it might be of interest during the AWB and states that have gun laws stuck in 1994 - or worse. But otherwise? Meh. At best.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Glock saw some of the success SIG was having with 357SIG and decided to attract the 45ACP crowd with 45GAP.

It's a solution looking for a non-existent problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The story that I heard was that some larger agencies expressed interest in 45's but found the G21 frame too big. Ergo, the .45GAP. Remember, .45GAP was introduced in 2003, which was before LE began switching en masse from .40 and .45ACP to the 9mm.

As to the demise of the round - not as many choices in ammunition loading or pistols, for that matter. .45ACP also had like what, a hundred year head start?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Well, it was a solution to a problem that (nearly) only Glock had.

As one who frequently shoots 45-ACP, I'm not upset that the GAP never became more popular. Weeding those short shells out of regular 45 brass was a nuisance.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just one more fly by night cartridge that didn't catch on.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    SF frame and eventually Gen4 frames fixed the grip issues of the 20/21.

Feedback Score
    A niche cartridge, like REALLY niche. Almost .45 ACP ballistics so the resulting ammo could be loaded in smaller frame pistols. Was the juice worth the squeeze, i.e. introducing an entirely new cartridge for minimal gains? Apparently not.

Glock did have a couple large agencies buy into it, no doubt enticed by "free" (or almost free) weapons:

New York State Police, South Carolina Highway Patrol, Florida Highway Patrol, Pennsylvania State Police, and Georgia State Police, most of which have subsequently switched to other calibers.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 06-11-19 at 19:40.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast