Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did the 45 GAP/M37 Glock not catch on ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Because its a GAP in all likelihood. GAP should stick to jeans.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I would say, largely, due to the fact it doesn’t really do anything better than existing cartridges AND it costs a premium over the traditional 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. The reality is that economics and narrowing performance gaps due to improving bullet technology is making everything besides 9mm an outlier for duty pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not that bullet technology is improving. It's that Americans are belatedly catching on to the fact that 9mm stops bad guys as well as any other cartridge, and the .40 S&W and .45 ACP - and the .45 GAP -- need never have been born.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Weeding those short shells out of regular 45 brass was a nuisance.
    I use my casefeeder to separate them - it jams on 380 in 9 and 45GAP in 45.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think Glock may have anticipated a renewal of the AWB in 2004 and if everyone would be limited to 10 rounds in a Glock 17-size frame then making them bigger (.45) would appeal to many.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Because its a GAP in all likelihood. GAP should stick to jeans.

PB
    I dunno, GAP makes some pretty nice rifles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I own a 38 and used to have a 37 as well. The 38 was my EDC for many years but I have since switched to a 19. For the same size I have almost double the capacity and less weight. I will say the 38 is fun to shoot and very accurate.

Feedback Score
    The niche it filled doesn't need to be filled anymore. Most of the large agencies that adopted it have since moved on to 9mm or .45acp. Glock doesn't even care about the round anymore. The 38 and 39 are still Gen 3 frames and holsters/parts for the GAP pistols are weird and harder to find. If you want widespread adoption, you have to make things easier. One of the things that killed the GAP is that the slides were still too fat. Yes, it's a G17 frame but the slide is still chunky necessitating their own generic holsters whereas a .357 Sig can use standard G17/G22 accessories. Agencies look at that stuff. If I want to switch from 9mm or .40 to .357 sig the transition is easy as almost everything is compatible. GAP not so much.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    It's not that bullet technology is improving. It's that Americans are belatedly catching on to the fact that 9mm stops bad guys as well as any other cartridge, and the .40 S&W and .45 ACP - and the .45 GAP -- need never have been born.
    Blasphemy! I am reporting this post to the mods.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like others have said, it's kind of pointless at this stage.

Only reason Glock ever really made any headway with it was that they were practically giving them away to dome big LE agencies.

Of the ones who adopted it, I wonder how many are still using it.

Always seemed gimicky to me. Much more so than .357 SIG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I had been running the show, Glock would have made a single stack 9mm right after they introduced the G17 to the U.S. market, and a single-stack .45 right after they introduced the G21.

I have large hands and just don't like the way the G21 feels. It is simply too big for a lot of folks.

As a brand that's original focus was on LEO in the U.S. it was short-sighted not to address the issue of smaller hands in their initial offerings.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast