Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why did the 45 GAP/M37 Glock not catch on ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I expect to see more broken parts and a narrower operating window with the fit 40 into a 9mm sized gun. Not a gun blowing up because the chamber is too thin but a shorter service life.

G22 Gen3 problems are why we have a Gen4. Gen4 doesn't share the same RSA in 9mm and 40 do they?

Several other designs that have come out AFTER the 40, do seem to be a bit chunkier to me as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think a G37-sized pistol chambered in .40 would be a hoot of a gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love the G37 personally.

smooth recoil
    cheap if it's a trade in
    most people don't shoot enough for ammo cost to matter
    during the Clinton ban it *sort of* made sense for folks that prefer bigger bore loads

Feedback Score
    It's an oddball caliber and ultimately how popular a gun or caliber will become is how well it's embraced by Agencies/ consumers. The way I looked at it is ammunition wasn't commonly available like 45acp and more expensive with limited loads. It wasn't picked up by a variety of popular gun manufacturers. Ballistically what big advantage did it have over say 45acp+P? A handful of agencies adopted it and how many are left that still issue it? I don't have what I consider large hands and never had trouble with 45 sized frames and the big selling point was.supposed be the smaller size. The Military, big Federal agencies, State, local agencies, and civilians didn't buy into the idea of the 45 Gap.
    It basically never got off the ground, almost nobody wanted it or had any interest. It happens, sometimes you get a home run and sometimes you strike out. It just was never meant to be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well ya see it was the early 2000s and ecstasy was making a comeback...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've owned 45 GAP pistols since October 2003. My wife and I have all three models as well as the Gen 4 G 37. The are accurate and the 9mm size frame fits our hand size better.My G38 is great for CC and with 8+1 rounds of 230 HST I don't feel any more unprepared than I do with my 1911.We have used them in GSSF / IDPA matches since 2003. Most people have never actually had any hands on or shot a GAP pistol, but most of the people that have shot our pistols have commented the low perceived recoil and its' accuracy. Is it better than 45 ACP,no but it is every bit its' equal in performance. The bottom picture was shot offhand at 20 yds with my G38 and 230 HST. If you buy ammo in bulk online it's not any more than 45ACP. YMMV

Last edited by ARx3; 06-18-19 at 18:44.
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    Just perusing the 2018 Glock catalog and I wonder why the 45 GAP ( Glock Auto Pistol ) cartridge / Model 37,38,39
    never really caught on ?
    It really was a great idea, 1/2" goodness in a Model 17 size frame.
    I just don't see them, don't know anyone who owns one.
    What does 45 GAP do that .45 ACP, 9 mm or .40 S&W don’t do with defensive rounds? Same goes for .357 Sig. Heck, .38 Super is a better load in the 1911, but 9 mm is here to stay unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If I had been running the show, Glock would have made a single stack 9mm right after they introduced the G17 to the U.S. market, and a single-stack .45 right after they introduced the G21.

I have large hands and just don't like the way the G21 feels. It is simply too big for a lot of folks.

As a brand that's original focus was on LEO in the U.S. it was short-sighted not to address the issue of smaller hands in their initial offerings.
    I'd be all over a 10 round Glock 41 or 21 with the frame sized accordingly. It could compete directly with the cheaper 1911s and 2011s, too. I really don't know why they haven't done something like that. Not like there's a lot of R&D investment going into something like that and it would be a legitimate 1911 competitor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They haven't because once again, they are a business, and everything they do or don't do is based on market projections, sales, etc.

They have so much coming in from LE and .mil sales, worldwide, they still don't need to innovate as much as some other companies do, to stay profitable.

Again, look how long they took with things like interchangeable backstraps, the G42/G43/G48, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Vvv, your observations are spot on.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast