Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Anyone has a bootleg inc Ar15 upper?what rail?bcm?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    This issue has nothing to do with the barrel being Nitride. There are advantages and disadvantages to chrome lined and Nitrided barrels. 2 easy minutes of googling will be very helpful in educating on the pros and cons. You could start here - https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...rrel-finishes/

Feedback Score
    That's a good article and one I've read before. I'll also post this discussion video on the topic featuring our very own Nathan from Faxon Firearms. He seems to know a thing or two about the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X1iaQbjg8

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    This issue has nothing to do with the barrel being Nitride. There are advantages and disadvantages to chrome lined and Nitrided barrels. 2 easy minutes of googling will be very helpful in educating on the pros and cons. You could start here - https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...rrel-finishes/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Did some Googling and it appears the Nordic barrels are that shitty QPQ/Nitride. I know I'm gonna take flak for this but I don't care. QPQ/Nitride/Melonite is a substandard, el cheapo alternative to chrome lining a friggin' barrel. Lazy, cheap, whatever you want to call it. There, I said it. Don't care if it's popular or not. I know there's gonna be a lot of butthurt over this comment but too bad so sad.

The ONLY weapon I have ever had to beat a spent case from the chamber of was a Nitrided AR 5.45 barrel using Wolf ammo. Sure, it was steel cased but it worked in the 16" S&W chrome lined barrel I had on it before I went to a 14.5" tube and the only one available was Nitrided.

Yeah moe2401, you cut corners.
    Brother, I’m not convinced. I imagine Nitride has less service life than Chrome, but I don’t think we can blame the finish for the stuck case. Perhaps the chamber dimensions or whatever polishing they get could matter.

For example, today at the end of a range session, with a chamber that has been 520 (not saying its a lot) rounds since its last brushing, I fired 4 rounds of M855 that were painted on 50% of the surface, enough that brass shine was not visible in that half. Nitride barrel, no stoppages. Keep in mind 5.56 has very little taper, and I was a little surprised they even chambered.

Another guy got a stuck case, with the rim ripped off in a brand new CMMG Mutant 7.62x39 using brass ammo. Nitride barrel, I think. That cartridge has lots of taper and should be easy to extract. After he beat the case out of the chamber, I noted that the rim was completely ripped off as if it tried to extract under pressure, and the sides of the case looked as if it had been rolled on concrete. So the chamber might have been rough.

My point is, there seems to be other factors.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE:
    My local gunshop was able to extract the case using a brownells shell extractor but man was it hard to get out.

BUT THATS NOT ALL..

It was a squib load...a bullet was stuck 2 inches before the gas hole..I was wondering why the wooded dowl wouldnt go all the way in and also the aluminium and steel rods..

Needless to say,I cheaped out and brought a faxon big gunner mid length barrel..for now.

The other barrel,I dont know what ima do with it..probably just toss it in my junk parts box

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If the squib is still in it and can’t be removed, throwing it in your junk box sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Throw it away.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moe2401 View Post
    UPDATE:
    My local gunshop was able to extract the case using a brownells shell extractor but man was it hard to get out.

BUT THATS NOT ALL..

It was a squib load...a bullet was stuck 2 inches before the gas hole..I was wondering why the wooded dowl wouldnt go all the way in and also the aluminium and steel rods..

Needless to say,I cheaped out and brought a faxon big gunner mid length barrel..for now.

The other barrel,I dont know what ima do with it..probably just toss it in my junk parts box

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2 Things to stay away from:
    Tula Ammo
    Cheap barrels - Including overpriced cheap barrels such as Faxon.

ETA: Wolf is fine as long as it's the stuff made in the Barnaul factory, NOT the Tula factory.
    Last edited by georgeib; 07-30-19 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wolf is a brand name not a manufacturer. In fact it belongs to a California company called SSI (Sporting Supplies International). They buy ammo from different manufacturers and re sell it under the Wolf name. For instance, Wolf Gold is now what? .... Indonesian? Used to be PPU

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Brother, I’m not convinced. I imagine Nitride has less service life than Chrome, but I don’t think we can blame the finish for the stuck case. Perhaps the chamber dimensions or whatever polishing they get could matter.

For example, today at the end of a range session, with a chamber that has been 520 (not saying its a lot) rounds since its last brushing, I fired 4 rounds of M855 that were painted on 50% of the surface, enough that brass shine was not visible in that half. Nitride barrel, no stoppages. Keep in mind 5.56 has very little taper, and I was a little surprised they even chambered.

Another guy got a stuck case, with the rim ripped off in a brand new CMMG Mutant 7.62x39 using brass ammo. Nitride barrel, I think. That cartridge has lots of taper and should be easy to extract. After he beat the case out of the chamber, I noted that the rim was completely ripped off as if it tried to extract under pressure, and the sides of the case looked as if it had been rolled on concrete. So the chamber might have been rough.

My point is, there seems to be other factors.
    Being that there isn't any 5.45 brass-cased ammo I can't vouch for if it would've functioned in mine. The original CL S&W barrel on the rifle shot fine with (obviously) steel-cased Wolf. I cut it to 11", swapped lowers to be legal and made it a pistol. Still functioned fine. Then I decided I wanted to make the weapon basically a training gun and bought a nitrided BA 14.5" barrel. After a short break-in period where I didn't have any issues (but didn't fire a lot of ammo) I took it to a carbine class and that's where the FTE took place. Had to either mortar it or use a cleaning rod to extract the cartridges. Happened several times, and was rather embarrassing. Eventually switched to a backup carbine I had brought along and finished the second day of the class.

I'm just not sold on nitride/QPQ/Melonite. That incident gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Did a lot of reading on the subject afterwards and still haven't bought into the craze. Doubt I ever will. That said, I'd take a nitride barrel over an untreated one for sure, but NEVER over a quality chrome lined one. YMMV.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I'm pretty well-read on the nitride vs CL debate, thanks. I come down firmly on one side of it. You may see it differently.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moe2401 View Post
    UPDATE:

The other barrel,I dont know what ima do with it..probably just toss it in my junk parts box.
    The squib should punch out w2ith no harm to the barrel. Didn't you feel lack of recoil or report?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314