Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingles Vaccine

Feedback Score

Shingles Vaccine

First some background, an elderly friend of mine died in 2013 and I've always suspected his outbreak of shingles helped hasten his demise. He suffered for the last couple years of his life, constantly complaining about general pain and discomfort. I saw the spots on his back and was horrified. I'm not 100% sure he had an active outbreak during that entire time. He was embarassed by it so I never asked about it after he showed me that one time.

He had a really awful looking case. I do know that after the day he showed me his spots his overall health seemed to deteriorate.

So I asked my doctor about the vaccine for it and he prescribed it.

It's important to remember there is an older vaccine that is less effective, and a newer one that is more effective. Of course I asked him to prescribe the more effective one.

Normally the local pharmacy texts you within an hour or so to tell you "Come get your shot."

I waited, hung around town, ran some errands. Finally I didn't have anything left to do and wanted to head back to the ranch, so I called the pharmacy to see what's up.

They told me there is a shortage and a "several months long wait" for the good shingles vaccine, which means I may not get my shot until the fall.

Just a heads up if you plan to get one: Ask for the "better" one and be prepared to wait several months.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-11-19 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Much truth there. My father delayed getting into the doctor and by the time he did he had a full blown case. He was 80 plus at the time. The pain was excruciating and nothing really alleviated it. He eventually got to where he could sort of zone out. He was quite the stoic but it was heartbreaking to see knowing I really couldn’t do a thing about it.

About 10-12 years ago I heard that there was a vaccine, which turned out to be the “old” one that loses its effectiveness over time. However, I ran, not walked—to get it ASAP. By then I had had a case of it start up, which I nipped in the bud. Get on it early and you can knock it back with a week’s meds. The word is FAST. I also browbeat my wife into getting the shots.

The weird thing is that my son got shingles at 40. The conventional wisdom is that it’s supposed to hit people 55 and over. He got the meds in time, but how he got it at that young age is a mystery. On theory is that stress was a factor.

I got to he new shots that are supposed to protect you longer about a year ago. My insurance picked up the tab—but after what I saw my Dad go through, I’d cheerfully pay big bucks for the protection.

Shingles are NO JOKE.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 06-11-19 at 20:17.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I want to get that vaccine as well. Thanks for the heads up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Much truth there. My father delayed getting into the doctor and by the time he did he had a full blown case. He was 80 plus at the time. The pain was excruciating and nothing really alleviated it. He eventually got to where he could sort of zone out. He was quite the stoic but it was heartbreaking to see knowing I really couldn’t do a thing about it.

About 10-12 years ago I heard that there was a vaccine, which turned out to be the “old” one that loses its effectiveness over time. However, I ran, not walked—to get it ASAP. By then I had had a case of it start up, which I nipped in the bud. Get on it early and you can knock it back with a week’s meds. The word is FAST. I also browbeat my wife into getting the shots.

The weird thing is that my son got shingles at 40. The conventional wisdom is that it’s supposed to hit people 55 and over. He got the meds in time, but how he got it at that young age is a mystery. On theory is that stress was a factor.

I got to he new shots that are supposed to protect you longer about a year ago. My insurance picked up the tab—but after what I saw my Dad go through, I’d cheerfully pay big bucks for the protection.

Shingles are NO JOKE.
    I got shingles when I was 43 and was told the same, that stress was probably a factor.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I got shingles about 7-8 years ago. I was 45 or so at the time. Started out like a heat rash. it was mid summer and I was mowing the yard and felt it coming on. 4-5 days later I finally went in to have it checked out and by then it was too late to do anything. I ended up taking ibuprofen for about a week and then it finally went away. I've heard about the vaccine also and will probably get it although the likelihood of getting shingles a 2nd time is very low.

Feedback Score
    If you have had chicken pox as a kid......you have a much greater chance of coming down with shingles. I need to inquire about the vaccine myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When you hear of shingles most think it’s an “old persons disease”. I can attest it’s not and young people and children can get it, although rare.
    As a child (probably age 5) I had chickenpox and a few years later developed shingles one summer (probably age 11 or 12). Doctors at first didn’t really know what it was. They thought it was a food allergy, rash or maybe just hives but was eventually diagnosed as shingles. This was during the summer and I remember all I could do was lay in bed and the pain that anything touching my skin caused me. It took about 3 months for me to recover.
    So I guess it’s never too early to get vaccinated.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Many folks I know have had an intense rxn to the new vaccine to the point of missing time from work. Be forewarned and time things accordingly.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Many folks I know have had an intense rxn to the new vaccine to the point of missing time from work. Be forewarned and time things accordingly.

geezer john
    Incidence of local reaction to RSV (Shingrix) at injection site, redness and some pain, is about 80%. About 10% of people will get some kind of systemic reaction...mostly fever...sometimes fatigue, nausea, muscle aches.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I got shingles when I was 43 and was told the same, that stress was probably a factor.
    Not sure if it's technically listed as an opportunistic infection, but our immune system can keep it in check under normal conditions, but it often happens when people are under extreme stress, exposed to something else that compromises the immune system and aging. Stress is very commonly a factor. Bell’s palsy also shows up when people have been under extreme stress, and some believe that's due to latent chicken pox virus activity.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast