Thread: Shingles Vaccine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Shingles Vaccine

First some background, an elderly friend of mine died in 2013 and I've always suspected his outbreak of shingles helped hasten his demise. He suffered for the last couple years of his life, constantly complaining about general pain and discomfort. I saw the spots on his back and was horrified. I'm not 100% sure he had an active outbreak during that entire time. He was embarassed by it so I never asked about it after he showed me that one time.

He had a really awful looking case. I do know that after the day he showed me his spots his overall health seemed to deteriorate.

So I asked my doctor about the vaccine for it and he prescribed it.

It's important to remember there is an older vaccine that is less effective, and a newer one that is more effective. Of course I asked him to prescribe the more effective one.

Normally the local pharmacy texts you within an hour or so to tell you "Come get your shot."

I waited, hung around town, ran some errands. Finally I didn't have anything left to do and wanted to head back to the ranch, so I called the pharmacy to see what's up.

They told me there is a shortage and a "several months long wait" for the good shingles vaccine, which means I may not get my shot until the fall.

Just a heads up if you plan to get one: Ask for the "better" one and be prepared to wait several months.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-11-19 at 17:37.