Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shingles Vaccine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had the fever and aches for about 24 hours, and soreness at the site, from the Shingrix vaccine. And again with the 2nd dose which was 2 months after the first. The nurse at the clinic said the majority of folks she's injected with it are getting symptoms like mine. Well worth it to have a better lifetime vaccination.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I was 38 I got shingles on my left leg from my ankle to half way up my calf.
    Black leather boots were part of the uniform of the day.
    About 2 1/2 months until it cleared up.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Incidence of local reaction to RSV (Shingrix) at injection site, redness and some pain, is about 80%. About 10% of people will get some kind of systemic reaction...mostly fever...sometimes fatigue, nausea, muscle aches.
    I had all of them, worse than the flu. Lasted about 36 hours. I understand that reactions are less with the second than with the first.

I had shingles once, when I worked in the SICU, on my back. I thought I had pulled a muscle. It wasn't horrible and I got 2 weeks off at work.

Feedback Score
    I called my Doc this afternoon and was told the vaccine is only offered to humans age 50 and older and that the vaccine is on back order everywhere. I laughed and said that I was actually a dog and am therefore qualified as far as age is concerned. The Doc laughed back and said “Go find a vet then” and hung up. True story.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I called my Doc this afternoon and was told the vaccine is only offered to humans age 50 and older and that the vaccine is on back order everywhere. I laughed and said that I was actually a dog and am therefore qualified as far as age is concerned. The Doc laughed back and said “Go find a vet then” and hung up. True story.
    I did not know about the age limitation. I'm wondering if that came about due to the shortage?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I did not know about the age limitation. I'm wondering if that came about due to the shortage?
    No. Age 50 is the break point where the incidence curve starts to steepen. Shringrix before age 50 isn't cost-effective because the incidence before 50 is relatively lower. Same reason screening colonoscopy isn't recommended to start until age 45.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Had chicken pox as a kid. About 10 years ago I was getting my regular round of facet blocks for nerve damage and had a shingles outbreak at the injection point for the blocks. Got put on meds and was better in a few weeks, but not before I gave my then 8 year old son chicken pox. Seeing my doctor in a few weeks and I'm bringing up the vaccine with her.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    No. Age 50 is the break point where the incidence curve starts to steepen. Shringrix before age 50 isn't cost-effective because the incidence before 50 is relatively lower. Same reason screening colonoscopy isn't recommended to start until age 45.
    Yes but the age break for the Colonoscopy (Butt-O-Scope) used to be 50 and before that 55.

I have had the good stuff as far as the vaccine is concerned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I got shingles when I was 43 and was told the same, that stress was probably a factor.
    I had never heard this before. I got Chicken Pox the first time in late November 1983 (a month after I was in Grenada). I was 23 years old. Grenada was the first time I was ever in a combat environment and was shot in the right thumb via ground fire which fragmented in my aircraft. I wonder if stress can contribute to the onset of Chicken Pox as well as shingles?

I was the recipient of all kinds of crap via my fellow pilots when I was grounded with the pox. I guess I am a candidate for shingles some time down the road.
    Last edited by OH58D; 06-15-19 at 01:16.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    I got my Shingles vaccine within a few days of turning 60. Last week when I went in for my annual med review my Physician told me about the new vaccine I needed to get. I guess I better get in line, I wasn’t aware of the shortage.

I got my first colonoscopy at 55, then 60, and will have to get another one next year. The worst part is the prep, they sedate you for the procedure which is painless anyway. I’ve lost a few friends and family to cancer so the hassle is worth it to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast