Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr/Wilcox upgraded G36 for Spain

Feedback Score

Steyr/Wilcox upgraded G36 for Spain

I believe that Wilcox also makes the Caracal line of firearms here in the US?

"Features and benefits of the upgrade include a cold hammer forged steel barrel, 100% compatible to the original barrel, increased thermal stability and a new lightweight alloy receiver to replace the old polymer receiver, thereby increasing strength and stiffness. The new STANAG magazine well will offer greater compatibility between magazine types, allowing more flexibility for procurement as well as for sourcing spares in-theatre from NATO allies on multinational ops. All upgrades are intended to maintain the same form and function as the original design and do not impede the operation of the weapon."

https://www.joint-forces.com/defence...od-g36-upgrade

Feedback Score
    Wow, that sure would be interesting to see the new receiver and barrel combo offered in a semi/civilian configuration in the US.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    new barrel, new receiver, new mag well...So just the bolt and FCG parts remaining?

Feedback Score
    Kind of like H&K rebuilding England's L85's from the ground up. Not many original parts remaining.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    At a net weight increase of merely 20-25%, I’m sure.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I speak and write in general BS as part of my job, but I read this pap and wonder if anyone believes any of it?

“This package is intended to reduce the overall life-cycle cost of buying a completely new weapon platform. The new rifle and electro-optics technology combination is intended to bring the customer MoD (not just the Spanish MoD, as other nations are looking to upgrade their G36 arsenals) further into the 21st Century by increasing force lethality and giving the soldier the ability to more speedily engage targets.”

Translation - COL Juan Carlos bought a nice place in the Canaries with a bunch of Deutschmarks and we are stuck with a case of erectile disfunction after two magazines. If you pay us 95% of the original procurement cost (inflation adjusted), you don’t have to change your web gear.

Feedback Score
    I recently read that part of the German army's upgrade program (sometime called the IdZ program) was metal 'carry handles' to replace the original plastic ones due to an issue with receivers twisting.

If G36s have wandering zeros and twisty receivers, it doesn't sound like a bad upgrade... if they're not overpaying, anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder at what point it’ll be cheaper to just go to a different weapon than the g36

Feedback Score
    Germany is in the process of selecting an entirely new rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Germany is in the process of selecting an entirely new rifle.
    Lol hk better do everything to get that contract to save themselves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast