Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .308 vs 6.5 for a general purpose lightweight rifle

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I don’t think you can go wrong with either caliber. It makes sense to stick with 308 if you want to simplify things.

For optics I would look at the 3-12 or 4.5-18 Bushnell LRHS scopes. FFP with a big donut of death for low magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You could spend a ton, or just go buy a t3x superlite in 6.5cm and add a swfa 3-9x mil/mil and be set for just about anything. Or stick with a fixed 6x as and save even more $$

Just my humble opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    You could spend a ton, or just go buy a t3x superlite in 6.5cm and add a swfa 3-9x mil/mil and be set for just about anything. Or stick with a fixed 6x as and save even more $$

Just my humble opinion.
    Thanks, this is in fact what I did: I have the T3x lite 6.5 SS in lefthand. I have a lightweight Leupy VX-6hd 2-12x coming in today, will mount in lightweight Talley's. Could have gone cheaper on the scope, but I wanted to have one better glass lightweight scope in my collection, so this one is it, found a great sale on it.
    Weighed the rifle without scope/mounts, 6.2 pounds. With new scope/mount, 7.4 pounds. Loaded and add a sling, maybe a Triad stock pack, I don't have all that stuff yet but I'm gonna guess around 8.2 pounds. As above in thread, I'm just gonna go shoot it for a while before spending any more on customizing it. The T3x stock, unlike the early T3 stocks, appears to have the barrel free floated and very little visible flex in the fore-end. Seems like you could mount a Harris bipod without problems, and I've seen YT vids of folks doing that and getting good accuracy.

Things I might consider for later to upgrade, short of doing a full custom build:
    * Chop barrel to 20" and thread for a brake. The factory barrel is 24", good for velocity but makes it slightly more ponderous to carry.
    * Add Mountain Tactical aluminum bottom metal. This gets rave reviews, still uses factory mags but improves the feed reliability, and the rigidness as you can torque the action down better and some have noted improved accuracy.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would leave it as is. If you do cut the barrel, leave it naked with a heavily recessed crown for protection, try to mimic a Winchester Extreme Weather muzzle. You will like that scope, have one on the W70 E W in 30-06 I gave to my son. Note--just remember to put it back on 2x when walking! Yeah, a buck at 10 yards is a lot of brown!, I think we both shit ourselves as we nearly ran into each other. Did you get the Talley's?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm not a fan of the 24" barrel either. I'd probably cut it down to 22" and crown it like Mark5pt56 is talking about. I have a W70 EW in 7mm08 and love it. They make it now in 6.5CM btw. The Leupy VX-6HD is a nice scope. Good choice!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Note--just remember to put it back on 2x when walking! Yeah, a buck at 10 yards is a lot of brown!, I think we both shit ourselves as we nearly ran into each other. Did you get the Talley's?
    Haha, that's awesome--good tip. Yes I have the Talley lightweight 'low' mounts as I believe with the sporter barrel and 42mm objective (that includes the lens covers), it should mount with plenty of clearance.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great! You will be happy with it all. I know it's your gun and money, but seriously think about leaving it alone, barrel only likely mod.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have a 260 Rem (basically a Creedmore with a negligible increase in velocity) and a 6.5 Grendel.

I have hunted Antelope every year for the past 6 years and of course Deer and pigs too with both these guns.

If my 260 were lost tomorrow, I’d replace it with a lightweight 6.5 Grendel.

CZ and Howa both make a bolt action 6.5 Grendel. I am a big fan of both of those manufacturers.

Hornady sells 123 gr varmint and hunting rounds, which can be found for about $21/box. I bought a case of each (10 box/case).

Just my opinion from using both these rounds on Antelope Deer and pigs. The animal doesn’t notice the difference

Feedback Score
    My $0.02: nothing wrong with rounding out your collection. But I definitely wouldn't ditch the .308 completely in favor of 6.5 because of the reasons you outlined above. In a word, have both, as you seen to have done.
    Last edited by madmax_fal; 10-26-19 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Barrel life span was a big factor for me. I realize that all lot of experienced dudes don’t see a tube swap as a big issue every 2-3k rounds. It’s new territory to me conceptually. I have the ctr in .308 with the same scope as PB.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast