Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .308 vs 6.5 for a general purpose lightweight rifle

Feedback Score
    I would go 308. Cheaper ammo if you shoot alot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Regarding the stock, for a very good price I bought a take off HS Precision righty (Savage) stock for my lefty rifle and cut the bolt handle relief. It works and I don’t care about the slot on the right hand side.
    Not sure if that is possible on a Tikka or not.
    I’ve been looking to buy a better stock for my Tikka in 6.5x55, so I’m interested in how this turns out.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Not for nothing, but a Steyr Scout checks all you boxes if you can afford it. It is my favorite long gun from my locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Not for nothing, but a Steyr Scout checks all you boxes if you can afford it. It is my favorite long gun from my locker.

the steyr's are that expensive. once people put the time and effort to build a "cheaper" scout or general purpose rifle as a one off, they often end up spending more. the difference is the steyr requires the money up front so it only seems more expensive. but once you have it, your done. future expenditures are on ammo to practice.

food for thought.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    If I only could have one rifle (God forbid!!) it would be a Steyr Scout rifle in .308

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Go buy a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 and never look back. Was looking for a new hunting rifle awhile back and that's what I did, could not be happier, excellent, American made, high quality rifle.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At the beginning of this month I attended Barrett's LR1 class. While there we all had the opportunity to shoot their Fieldcraft rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Great lightweight rifle.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    At the beginning of this month I attended Barrett's LR1 class. While there we all had the opportunity to shoot their Fieldcraft rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Great lightweight rifle.

jpgm
    The origins of this rifle is an attempt to mass produce what new ultra light arms makes one at a time. the company that tried to do that failed, Barrett bought the assets. will be interesting to see if Barrett can pull it off, keep the concept true, or if they deviate to the point they are just another bolt action rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    The origins of this rifle is an attempt to mass produce what new ultra light arms makes one at a time. the company that tried to do that failed, Barrett bought the assets. will be interesting to see if Barrett can pull it off, keep the concept true, or if they deviate to the point they are just another bolt action rifle.
    I don't have any knowledge if that is the case with Barrett and it doesn't matter either. It's still a handy rifle that I enjoyed shooting along with everyone else who shot it.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    I don't have any knowledge if that is the case with Barrett and it doesn't matter either. It's still a handy rifle that I enjoyed shooting along with everyone else who shot it.

jpgm
    I am sure the Barrett is a fine rifle. I only bring it up because mass producing is about price points and sometimes desirable attributes and features become lost as a side affect. which doesn't mean they can't/won't produce a fine and enjoyable to use quality rifle. Rather if you are looking for a NULA clone on the "cheap", really check "under the hood, kick the tires and do your research so you aren't disappointed later. on the other hand, if you aren't looking for a NULA clone, it's a none issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast