Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM Mod 0 - nothing to complain about!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great company. I've never had a problem with BCM but if I did, I know they'd take care of it no questions asked.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Somebody explain to my why there's the occasional snarky comment that BCM is "hobby grade crap." I always thought they were at the top of the famous chart. I never had one issue with one of their rifles, and I owned several. The only minor criticism I ever had for BCM is that usually their guns are just barely less accurate than a Colt. I'd still trust my life to one. Why the hate from some people?

Feedback Score
    I think it's just tongue in cheek, sarcastic jabbing. At least, that is how I read into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Somebody explain to my why there's the occasional snarky comment that BCM is "hobby grade crap." I always thought they were at the top of the famous chart. I never had one issue with one of their rifles, and I owned several. The only minor criticism I ever had for BCM is that usually their guns are just barely less accurate than a Colt. I'd still trust my life to one. Why the hate from some people?

Feedback Score
    Ordered the action spring from BCM. Now I should be set.

Yup, Carpenter 158 steel, shot peened and magnetic particle inspected and high pressure proof tested is definitely "hobby grade" . I'll take it...wait, I already did!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    If you are referimg to me then i can use smaller words because i thought i was Abundantly clear on that topic.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    If you are referimg to me then i can use smaller words because i thought i was Abundantly clear on that topic.
    What do you have against BCM?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What do you have against BCM?
    Nothing when we are talking about capitalism...... as for real firearms....... why make something good when you can pay people to stop the spreading of the truth .

Expensive Marketing over quality products

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Nothing when we are talking about capitalism...... as for real firearms....... why make something good when you can pay people to stop the spreading of the truth .

Expensive Marketing over quality products
    Okay I read the thread you reference and re-read your post #40 and a few posts beyond. Apparently there is a discussion either here or TOS or somewhere else going into detail about your claims. Can you link to that? I bought my BCM's in 2010 when the serial numbers were still under 500 so I'm not defending their current output. I just want to read the original source material that you're getting your claims from. Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: I did some Googling and found a lengthy post. I'd still like to know your personal experiences, or your source, though.

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ar-1...overrated.html

-They don't pin their Gas blocks on most models, this matters to me, especially since I put serious rounds down range and most DOD/Mil contracts require it for good reason.
    -Most of their barrel nuts are put on with some sort of thread locker. It took a freezer, heat gun, 6 foot cheater bar and two days to get it off. Not exactly field serviceable (I know you wouldn't take a barrel off in the field) and they will never get a GOV contract with that going on.
    -Accuracy of their barrels are usually in the 2-4MOA range, even their MK12 model shoots 1.5MOA. If I don't get 1moa in a AR it's trash, most serious shooters think the same.
    -Inconsistent tolerances between upper and lower pin holes, not mil spec at all. Worse upper lower rattle/fitment ever, makes bullet in top of mag rub against carrier and causes deformations in the casings. Plus it will cause wear in the friction points at a accelerated rate.
    -Most parts are not made in house it seems, LPKs, buffer tubes, FSP and BCGs are identical to PSA and no doubt come from same supplier. BCM charges much more for the same parts, just called them special names.
    -Inconsistent torque ratios on barrel nut, castle nut and pistol grip screw. This makes servicing horrible since the threads won't last as long.
    -High wear with low friction abrasions on KMR, charging handles and upper receiver. My KMR has three serious scratches in it, only have 200 rounds through it mostly from a bipod. Charging handle looks like it fought in Nam, upper receiver was replaced, took coating clear off the shell deflector. I know it's technically not a coating. Looks are not super important to me, but you don't want metal showing....ever.
    -incorrectly clocked rail and comp, rail was 4 degrees off, comp was 11, both to the left.
    -Customer service is inconsistent, sometimes they are great....sometimes they are from another planet.
    -THEY WILL NOT POST A BAD REVIEW ON THEIR WEBSITE......EVER. I had a very lengthy email trail going on with them and they flat out told me they would never post a bad review. Which actually falls under fraudulent advertisement since reviews are screened and used as a quality testament. They don't care what the issue is, and if they ever put out a unsafe product you won't know when you purchase since they won't display the bad review of it.
    -THE LIST GOES ON.....

Accuracy has been horrid even when using a US Optics 10x with 20 different types of ammo, some which are the best you can put through a AR.....Federal Sierra Match, Gorrila, Fiochi Match ect. I haven't seen better than 2.5MOA in any stock BCM rifle or upper......ever. My PSA is a 1 MOA rifle, and that just puts them to shame since it cost half of what the BCM did. People say "they are combat rifles, they don't need to be MOA"........yes they do, what soldier/Marine in the world wants a less accurate rifle????? Why pay $700 for a 2.5moa BCM upper when a $400 Premium PSA upper will get you 1.5-2moa.

There are some good things, KMR rail is nice, lock up is probably best in the market or on par with Daniel Defense. BCGs, FSP are top grade (they don't make them, which is common for AR companies.) The Mod0 Comp is great, much better the A2, not worth $80 but still great. Their guns run, F2F of any kind is rare, and I don't see one falling apart easily since they over torque/thread lock everything. They are Mil-Spec on areas that matter (not mil-spec in a lot of other things) like feed ramps, bolt lock up, and gas systems.

I wouldn't mind buying parts from BCM, just not a all out rifle or upper. I can't see me ever buying or recommending another one of their barrels, and I don't see them lasting as a manufacturer much longer with these QC issues that are starting to come main stream. I HOPE that they reinvent their QC policy's and get their accuracy guidelines to 1MOA or it won't go out the door. Larue did this and now is one of the most dependable companies there is (customer service is....eeeeh.)
    My take: I have no idea if a single syllable of this is true. Like I said my only issue with a BCM rifle has been minimal accuracy differences between two BCM's and two Colts shot side-by-side.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-13-19 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The first AR I owned was built in 2016 on a complete BCM 16" LW midlength URG (std, not HF) and BCM lower parts with the exception of the receiver. Basically all parts except stripped lower receiver, optic, light/mount handguards, trigger guard and stock are BCM.

It has been perfectly reliable, soft shooting, accurate (with a red dot at least), and a pleasure to own over the years. I did not keep a round count but filled a 5 gallon bucket with brass, so it has been shot a bit.

BCMs are a bit pricey but I don't hesitate to recommend them.

My experience and opinion, for what it's worth.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-14-19 at 12:26.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast