Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownells gas tube GTG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjenorris View Post
    How well does the nitride coating prevent carbon/trash build up? I know it's just a simple gas tube and they're cheap, just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I can't think of any reason the nitride would cause any problems, but 55,000 + psi gas flow is the main reason normally occurring stuff doesn't stay inside them.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't prevent much. It's black so it may look cleaner than a stainless tube with carbon spray on it. Maybe it cleans up better, but I haven't tried.

How well does the nitride coating prevent carbon/trash build up? I know it's just a simple gas tube and they're cheap, just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I can't think of any reason the nitride would cause any problems, but 55,000 + psi gas flow is the main reason normally occurring stuff doesn't stay inside them.
    Yea, I get it at that pressure, nothing much stays in the tube. Also if your tube is dirty then it's easier to just change tube. But I have stuck a white pipe cleaner in mine and obviously it came out black. Just curious to see if it made any difference versus a non-coated one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea, I get it at that pressure, nothing much stays in the tube. Also if your tube is dirty then it's easier to just change tube. But I have stuck a white pipe cleaner in mine and obviously it came out black. Just curious to see if it made any difference versus a non-coated one.

Oh ok, understood.

https://www.machinedesign.com/materi...trocarburizing

And I will change my original thought of no to a maybe/likely.

https://progressivemetalservice.com/services/nitriding/

I didn't realize the nitride imparted any lubricity. I thought it was entirely corrosion/wear resistance and anything Not sticking to it was via whatever it's initial polish was combined with not corriding later.

Glad you asked it that way, I learned something new.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What brought it to mind was I've been looking at EXO/Nickel Boron coated BCG's. I figured maybe it would be something that would predominately stay carbon free too.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking internally. FWIW, shooting quality ammo, I've never seen a semi-auto tube get clogged up. Never once. I've seen them clogged with pipe cleaners and q-tips, but never carbon. I could be wrong, but I believe the tube self-cleans at a certain point. And I don't think a coating is going to make much of a difference, although it is an interesting thought.

What brought it to mind was I've been looking at EXO/Nickel Boron coated BCG's. I figured maybe it would be something that would predominately stay carbon free too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Off by an order of magnitude.

The pressure in the gas tube is around 5,000 to 6,000 psi in a rifle and 7,000 to 8,000 psi in a carbine.

Well inside the abilities of 3/16 inch seamless stainless steel tubing...

Feedback Score
    The standard gas tube works just fine for me after many years of use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have used them on a couple of recent builds. Nitride is my preference and Brownells offers a great price and warranty.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nitride is actually not a coating, it's a treatment. I would stay away from coated gas tubes, there's no need for it, and I would stay away from Nickel Boron coated anything on an AR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12