Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 308 Win. twist rate?

Feedback Score
    I just ordered a PRC barrel for my Big Horn. Looking forward to it.

Long action .308s are a thing but if it were me I’d pick something like a 6.5-284 or .280 AI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Are there any tips , tricks to building the LA 308's? Any watch outs? What about a LA 6.5 PRC ?

I'm not smart enough to get my hands around 6.5-284 or 280 A.I. and I like to augment my handloads ( I say My which means Marks) with factory ammo. Wouldn't those be pricey factory cartridges to buy for?

Thanks for the feedback.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

308 Win. twist rate?

The biggest tip for making .308 work is using the right magazine system. The original army m24s were LA .308s and they weren’t super reliable from talking to guys I know that ran them.

I know people have been doing the PRCs in a LA, which is a magnum bolt head and would require a magnum follower or magazine.

Myself, it would depend on what you want to do with the rifle. If you wanted an awesome hunting rifle round, .280 AI all the way. 160 gr AB long range is an awesome bullet for killing and super accurate. I did elk load development with my old one and shot 2”-3” groups at 650 yards with it. If you want to load, it is a factory round now so you can buy brass and load, or you can fire .280 Remington in the chamber and fireform brass. It’s kind of a two-fold advantage, perfect brass to your chamber and cheap ammo for playing around.

The 6.5-284 is another awesome round. You won’t get the advantage of a parent round interchangeable in your chamber but it is basically a 6.5 PRC ballistically with standard bolt head and long action.

Since your pre-64 is a controlled round feed, I wouldn’t go jacking with opening up the bolt. You can run .308 in it just fine I’d imagine.

Or another round to think of is 6.5x55 for cheap (relatively) Lapua brass and similar velocity to 6.5-284, perhaps just a bit less. You could still shoot affordable ammmunition through it, too.

Last edited by lsllc; 12-11-19 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

PB
    No prob

Feedback Score
    Some long action bolt guns will feed 308 just fine and some won't. I have one that will feed from right side of mag just fine but from the left side it won't. Guess you could say if your rifle comes with a mag designed to feed 30.06 stay with calibers in that length if you rebarrel it like 270 Win, 338/06 and if you have short mag equipped for 308 stay with 7/08, 260, 243 etc. Makes for less cursing haha.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234