Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon AccuPower1-8 vs 1-4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Trijicon AccuPower1-8 vs 1-4

Got to shoot a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 w/ segmented circle reticle recently and really liked it. Enough so that I decided "I want one!"....until I saw the ~$1200 price tag on it. Is the 1-4x24 much different? Only half the price so would be worth 4x vs 8x magnification to me.

I'm typically in the Nikon Monarch - Aimpoint PRO neighborhood for optics, lots of stuff with a Romeo5 even, so kind of balking at 1-8x28's price tag and wondering how much a compromise the 1-4x24 is in comparison? Don't know of a place locally that would have both in stock where I could just compare both side by side.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure of your area of NC, but most of what I have seen of it has been comparable to where I am in KY and extra magnification doesn't get hills and trees out of the way.

Looking at the specs, the 1-8 has 12 more feet fov on 1x than the 4, but weighs 9 ounces more, 34mm tube and is FFP.

My experience is limited, but I can't quite get my mind wrapped around the FFP on the lower power settings based on limited looking through FFP scopes.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 06-13-19 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Depends on your use in my book.

I have the 1-8X Trij on a .308 AR. For my purposes, with this gun/optic- the 1-8 is not ideal. I suppose if it were a hunting gun, with narrow windows of target engagement and shots to 5/600, it might be ideal.
    However, we shoot steel to 800 yds+; IPSC steel and 8"/10"/12" plates with this gun. I don't believe I've ever shot it on 1X.
    For a semi-precision gun, knowing what I do now, I'd prefer a 2-10X/3-15X or similar.

On a game/range gun I prefer the 1-4X and have a Trijico 1-6X Accupoint I've used a bit.
    To 3/400 yards the 1-4X has been completely adequate on IPSC type targets for me.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I had a 1-4x24 Accupower; it is a nice optic but for the price & illumination, I much prefer the Vortex 1-6x24 PST Gen 2.

The 1-8x Accupower is nice, but illum isn't daylight bright, it's heavy and for the price I'd add $300 and get a NX8 (which I did).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both. The 1-8x is a much better scope. Optics are better and the illumination is better. Only drawback is it is a heavy son of a gun. The 1-4x is ok but I will probably be replacing it with an accupoint red triangle 1-4x or 1-6x in the near future. The optics are not as good as the 1-8x (not as clear, not as bright) and the illumination is definitely not daylight bright. It fades badly in direct sunlight. Both are ruggedly built (a Trijicon trademark) and seem to be of good quality. I'm keeping the 1-8x but the 1-4x is going for sure.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    The 1-4x is ok but I will probably be replacing it with an accupoint red triangle 1-4x or 1-6x in the near future.
    I am also planning on replacing my 1-4 Accupower with an Accupoint. Is the Accupoint truly daylight bright? I know it should be, but I also "knew" the accupower would be and was very wrong.

I will keep the Accupower and use it on a non tactical rifle, probably my 45-70 No 1. I don't think it's a bad scope, just dim.

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am also planning on replacing my 1-4 Accupower with an Accupoint. Is the Accupoint truly daylight bright? I know it should be, but I also "knew" the accupower would be and was very wrong.

I will keep the Accupower and use it on a non tactical rifle, probably my 45-70 No 1. I don't think it's a bad scope, just dim.

Andy
    My TR25 green triangle is absolutely nuclear daylight bright in full sunlight. I typically close the fiber optic oreo at least 75% and still have plenty of bright green triangle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use my Accupower 1-8 on my 308 SCAR. The extra magnification comes in very handy.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I use my Accupower 1-8 on my 308 SCAR. The extra magnification comes in very handy.
    The 1-8 Accupower is a wonderful scope that I highly recommend. As previously noted, the only drawback (imho) is its weight. If using it in a dmr/reece application, then weight is not quite as much as problem. I have converted one of my 516's to a dmr/reece configuration and that is where my 1-8 is located.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    My range goes to 300 yds. Not sure I would care about 4x vs 8x max magnification at those ranges on a carbine? Hard to say because I'm one extreme to the other - either just a 0 magnification red dot/iron sights or at least X - 16x power, some to 24x magnification (which is overkill @ 300 yds).

When I shot the 1-8x Accupower, I was at 1x the whole time & only at 50-100 yds ranges. More than sufficient for the steel 10" steel targets at those ranges. I played with it and liked how it zoomed to 8x, but didn't shoot it at magnification. Was back & forth between overcast and full sun throughout the day, but never noticed the illuminated reticle being weak or washed out.

I'm also liking the NX8 recommendation and looking for a place to see one in person locally. To me that's a lot for an AR optic but need to see it in person to really decide. Also think the Trij is a lot for what it is....but I did like shooting it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast