Thread: Nightforce unimount ring height and cheek weld question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nightforce unimount ring height and cheek weld question

Plan to get a Nightforce 30mm unimount for a scope that has the following specs. The 20 MOA 30mm Nightforce mounts come in approx heights of 1.125, 1.375, and 1.5. Need to figure out what consequences the height that I need will have on my cheek weld on the stock. This rifle will be a 6.5 Grendel with 18" precision barrel, shooting out to intermediate ranges up to 800y.

Scope: 2.5-10x42mm
    Objective OD (with Butler scope covers): 54.4
    OAL: 13.75"

Minimum required ring height for the above OD: 1.07"

I want to run a folding rear BUIS that has a low profile when stowed, such as Bobro Lowrider (0.2"), or Troy folding dioptic (0.46"). Normally I like scopes mounted low, shoot nose-to-ch, and will not use offset BUIS on this rifle.

Q: If I go with one of the higher mounts in order to fit a folding rear BUIS under it (1.375" or 1.5"), will I run into issues getting a solid low cheek weld on a standard AR buttstock? If so, does that mean my only option (besides offset buis) is get a stock with adjustable comb height?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    NF has the solution: an extended unimount design for nose-to-CH shooting with good cheek weld, and enough height to fit the Bobro's.

https://nightforceoptics.com/unimount-sr

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have experience with the NF 2.5-10x42 on a 1.375" Unimount. No cheekweld issues for me, and it works nicely with a wider sloped stock such as a SOPMOD. Like maximus said, try the extended mount if you need to push the scope forward.
    Last edited by bruin; 08-25-19 at 00:35.