Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is a 7.5" barrel with pistol gas for 300BLK?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    OP - I'd go with a bit of a longer barrel myself. Is there a reason you want to do a 7.5?
    Just for the overall length with can. And figured since the load was being worked down to be subsonic, no benefit to any additional barrel length.

But, don't really know - why I'm asking Just going off assumptions since my only experience has been with the 16" build.

Feedback Score
    I have 6”, 8” and 16” blackouts. 16” in carbine length and is iffy with subsonic loads unless suppressed. For your short barrel you want the pistol length.

As I understand it, it was developed for interchangeable use of supers and subs. A soldier could swap between the two as needed and have perfect functioning.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Anything under 16" should be pistol gas. I have had more than a few 300 blk. As of right now I have narrowed it down to a 7.5" custom X-Caliber Barrel and the OG 9" AAC.

The 7.5" is more of a PDW - 150y and in. The 9" has no issues going out to 300y. The X-Caliber Barrels are MOA or better and the AAC is probably 1.5-2 moa.

I went 7.5" because as stated above not a ton of options for handguards when you get shorter. The X-Caliber Barrel along with a SLR adjustable gas block (I have it set not to lock back with subs without a can) and a Sig 762ti is quieter with sellier and bellot 220gn subs than my 9mm suppressed ar. The 7.5" is my go to now and I never really grab the AAC unless im hunting.

In regards to handloads, I went down a half a grain off my 16" loads.
    Last edited by themonk; 06-14-19 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Anything under 16" should be pistol gas. I have had more than a few 300 blk. As of right now I have narrowed it down to a 7.5" custom X-Caliber Barrel and the OG 9" AAC.

The 7.5" is more of a PDW - 150y and in. The 9" has no issues going out to 300y. The X-Caliber Barrels are MOA or better and the AAC is probably 1.5-2 moa.

I went 7.5" because as stated above not a ton of options for handguards when you get shorter. The X-Caliber Barrel along with a SLR adjustable gas block (I have it set not to lock back with subs without a can) and a Sig 762ti is quieter with sellier and bellot 220gn subs than my 9mm suppressed ar. The 7.5" is my go to now and I never really grab the AAC unless im hunting.

In regards to handloads, I went down a half a grain off my 16" loads.
    OP don’t want to hijack your thread so I hope you don’t mind my question . It’s sorta related.

Hey Monk,

Since you own or have owned way more 300blk rifles than I have (1), I want to pick your brain.
    I have an 8.3” 300BLK that has mostly been dedicated to subsonic suppresses use. I built it before BA started making 9” barrels 300BLK barrels, and I have had such a good experience with BA barrels, they have become my defacto go-to barrel more or less save a DD CHF barrel here and there.
    But I want to build another 300BLK and use it primarily for supers. I want to take advantage of the very respectable ballistics I’ve seen from the 110gr (Barnes I believe) ammunition, but would rather not go out to a 16” barrel. Do you see value in going with something like a 12.5 or if I went with X-Caliber i think I could go 12” or 14”. It’ll probably be a mix of suppressed and unsuppressed depending on what in doing, but dedicated to supersonic ammo.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The 110 and 120 Barnes Black Tips are performers on game.
    My experience is limited in 300 Blk with these bullets in hand loads (H110) and at max velocity.
    I run 16” and 14.5 L/W barrels.

Gotta look at the 300 Super’s as, at best, .30/30’s in regards to effective range.
    I’d push a shot to 200 yds given ideal conditions, longer shots are a Hail Mary in my book.

Both the 110 and 120 Barnes BTs are light for caliber.
    Being monolithic copper, they are long for their weight.
    Still, their BCs suck in comparison to heavy, even medium weight 30 caliber rifle rds.

Just my input for your consideration RtT.

Feedback Score
    300BLK v 556 Trajectory.jpg

For RobertTheTexan;

I’ll try to attach a chart giving velocities with different length barrels.

Out of my 8” SBR I get 2105 fps with the Barnes 110gr Blacktip factory load and 1915 fps with the Remington 130gr Hog Hammer (a Barnes bullet, I think).
    Last edited by SBRSarge; 06-16-19 at 00:22.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The 110 and 120 Barnes Black Tips are performers on game.
    My experience is limited in 300 Blk with these bullets in hand loads (H110) and at max velocity.
    I run 16” and 14.5 L/W barrels.

Gotta look at the 300 Super’s as, at best, .30/30’s in regards to effective range.
    I’d push a shot to 200 yds given ideal conditions, longer shots are a Hail Mary in my book.

Both the 110 and 120 Barnes BTs are light for caliber.
    Being monolithic copper, they are long for their weight.
    Still, their BCs suck in comparison to heavy, even medium weight 30 caliber rifle rds.

Just my input for your consideration RtT.
    Thanks Monk. I realize the distance is just an inherent compromise when talking about a .30 cal round in 5.55”6 casing as opposed to a 308. I’m looking for something that will function similar to a 30-30, just in a common platform for me.

Thanks for the input.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    300BLK v 556 Trajectory.jpg

For RobertTheTexan;

I’ll try to attach a chart giving velocities with different length barrels.

Out of my 8” SBR I get 2105 fps with the Barnes 110gr Blacktip factory load and 1915 fps with the Remington 130gr Hog Hammer (a Barnes bullet, I think).
    That’s not bad performance out of a short barrel with that round.

I shot you a PM.

Thanks

RTX

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    OP don’t want to hijack your thread so I hope you don’t mind my question . It’s sorta related.

Hey Monk,

Since you own or have owned way more 300blk rifles than I have (1), I want to pick your brain.
    I have an 8.3” 300BLK that has mostly been dedicated to subsonic suppresses use. I built it before BA started making 9” barrels 300BLK barrels, and I have had such a good experience with BA barrels, they have become my defacto go-to barrel more or less save a DD CHF barrel here and there.
    But I want to build another 300BLK and use it primarily for supers. I want to take advantage of the very respectable ballistics I’ve seen from the 110gr (Barnes I believe) ammunition, but would rather not go out to a 16” barrel. Do you see value in going with something like a 12.5 or if I went with X-Caliber i think I could go 12” or 14”. It’ll probably be a mix of suppressed and unsuppressed depending on what in doing, but dedicated to supersonic ammo.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry, was MIA all weekend.

12.5" was one of the original lengths offered by AAC. Their original thinking as best as I could tell was the OG Honey Badger (6" barrel) was PDW (SOF only) the 9" was general do all, and the 12.5" was for hunting and getting the max out of the round but still in an SBR format. They also sold a 16" for non-friendly SBR states.

I am of the thinking that unless you need to have a 16" gun for some reason (and that's getting harder to find now with the advent of pistols) there really is no reason for a 16" 300 blk. I think you can get 95% of the round out of a 9". If you have a use case for a 12.5" like hunting or benchrest shooting I think it may be a better way to go than a 9" just for velocity and stability.
    Last edited by themonk; 06-17-19 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Done as far as assembly & happy with the look & feel of it with the shorter barrel + suppressor. Sadly being a 2-stamp gun, tax stamps are single most expensive thing on the build Looking forward trying it out along with the slightly hotter subsonic load (ver 1.0) this weekend.

P6200085.JPG

P6200086.JPG

Specs on the overall rifle (if anyone cares - nothing fancy about it)....

80% lower
    PSA stripped upper
    RRA hard chrome BCG
    RRA 2 stage trigger
    RRA LPK
    Generic 12" rail - MAS Defense? Not sure but needed something fat enough to go over suppressor
    Magpul rail ladder covers, CTR stock, grip
    Anderson 7.5" stainless barrel (yeah, I know - I very much dislike Anderson mfg like many others, but on sale, in stock, & what I wanted)
    Sig Romeo 5 & mount it came with
    Suppressor is my form 1 homemade, 416 stainless & titanium
    Cerakote is Magpul FDE & graphite black

* sorry...can't get pics working right
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CMV; 06-20-19 at 21:05. Reason: fighting with pics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast