Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: .45 AARP—Meme or Misunderstood?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't reload commodities stuff, though I have the capability.

There are calibers that are easy to reload for and commodity stuff is unobtainable or not a good value.

They also tend to be bigger bores. 10mm, 41 mag, 45

I get close out bulk bullets for 40 / 10 mm very cheaply and use that 4 plinking / practice 10 mm.

Same for cast bullet fun loads for my son's 41 mag, and I reload his hunting rounds just because it's easy and cheap.

45 I can get commodity ammo fairly often from the LMGS, so I don't reload for it lately. But in the past I did.

I also reload pet hunting loads in rifle calibers largely due to not being able to get what I want for anything less than stupid pricing. I can reload a box of 50 hunting loads for less than what the same exact configuration would cost from the manufacturer for 20. I then will often make practice loadings that shoot the same point of impact but with cheaper bullets.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Science = Heavier and slower penetrates deeper. There's reason rifle rounds suffer less over penetration than most handgun and shotgun rounds. Throw in slope and that's a different story and you would want faster (not necessarily lighter). But, all things equal, heavier/slower penetrates deeper than faster/lighter. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 9mm convert, not because I think it's a superior round, but because all handgun rounds suck and I have more margin for error with twice more rounds than something else.

Also, and I'm not saying you didn't see it, but there's no way a .45, or almost any round, failed to penetrate a hoodie without something else going on.
    Your science is grossly over-simplified.

Bullet shape and center of gravity plays a huge part in why rifles, "suffer less over penetration than most handgun and shotgun rounds."

And heavier and slower doesn't penetrate any deeper, if the sectional density isn't there: Compare getting hit with a baseball (~204J, SD: 0.036) or hockey puck (~204J) versus 22 LR (~168J, SD ~0.115) or 380 Auto (~245J, SD 0.108). The baseball or hockey puck will cause significant damage, but they aren't likely to break skin. A 380 or 22 will almost certainly break skin, sail through muscle and organs, and might even break bones on their way through.

(45 Auto, for reference, is schlepping a 230-gr bullet with a 0.162 sectional density at about 850 fps, versus a 40 S&W throwing a 0.161 sectional density 180-gr bullet at about 950 fps, or a a 9mm spiking a 147-gr 0.167 SD bullet at about 1000 fps. And the net difference is pretty much irrelevant - except that if simple barriers can defeat 9mm or 40, they will almost certainly defeat 45 Auto, too.)
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 06-19-19 at 12:48.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Science = Heavier and slower penetrates deeper. There's reason rifle rounds suffer less over penetration than most handgun and shotgun rounds. Throw in slope and that's a different story and you would want faster (not necessarily lighter). But, all things equal, heavier/slower penetrates deeper than faster/lighter. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 9mm convert, not because I think it's a superior round, but because all handgun rounds suck and I have more margin for error with twice more rounds than something else.

Also, and I'm not saying you didn't see it, but there's no way a .45, or almost any round, failed to penetrate a hoodie without something else going on.
    But 147gr 9mm has greater sectional density than 200gr .45.
    When talking HP, they all(good loads) penetrate about the same.

Talking about non-human targets (boars), you need a lot more penetration. Different tool for a different task.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I reload, and have found it is not worth my time to do so for anything except precision rifle ammo.

Your figures are also meaningless unless you give us the specific bullet used as well. 147gr Speer GDHP > 147gr Hornady red plastic thing.
    Sorry MY data doesn't meet your needs. I listed what it cost me.

I usually go with Precision Delta or Everglades - whichever is in stock.

Right now I'm loading Precision Delta 115grJHP, CCI 500, 4.4gr W231, 1.086 oal. ETA: I have 6,000 185grJHP loaded using Montana Gold bullets because I couldn't find them at PD or E.

I am into 'coarse' rather than precision. What I do enables me to shoot between 1,000 and 2,000 a week.

As far as precision loading goes, no interest, I got back into service rifle this year (solely due to the intro of optics a couple years ago) and use Hornady Black 62gr and 75gr. When I'm convinced I'm out shooting my ammo, figure something out.

I ass-u-me that since you chose to be a CPA, you like dealing with the minutiae of precision reloading. Me on the other hand, breezed through Accounting 1 and 2 with 4.0's, enjoyed the classes thoroughly, and realized that doing it full time would suck the soul from my body. People are different. Precision reloading is not for me.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-19-19 at 16:06.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I want so bad before I die to see Glock introduce a single stack 8 round 45.
    With a steel lower, frame mounted safety, and
    3.75# trigger pull.
    And declare it the culmination of the evolution of Glock Perfection.
    If this ever happens, I might need a week off just to see what the internet does.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Good Lord people stop saying “boogaloo.”
    I've noticed that people lamenting to the internet that they should stop engaging in a particular behavior hasn't worked too well.....it'll probably go out of fashion when something more annoying comes along. Don't worry, you'll have grudgingly embraced it by then.

You will be assimilated. :-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Good Lord people stop saying “boogaloo.”
    We're going to replace it with "yeet cannon."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I've noticed that people lamenting to the internet that they should stop engaging in a particular behavior hasn't worked too well.....it'll probably go out of fashion when something more annoying comes along. Don't worry, you'll have grudgingly embraced it by then.

You will be assimilated. :-)
    Ain't that the truth. I have always despised hearing "IT IS WHAT IT IS." Well no $)(*#. What else would it be? But of course I caught myself saying it the other day. I will never say "back in the day" or "it has been a minute" to mean a very long time. NEVAHHHHH
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678