Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 AARP—Meme or Misunderstood?

Feedback Score
    I prefer more rounds to more bullet, generally.

How many rounds are enough for you? I have a S&W M&P 2.0 .45 and really like it. It's mainly a house / range gun. I use the S&W 14- rd mags in it. Would a 17 or 24 rd 9mm be a better weapon in case I grab it for HD? Probably wouldn't matter.

The M&P is a soft shooting gun. Firing fast and accurately at close range isnt difficult. .45 penetrates less building than 9mm generally so that may be a good thing.

Sometimes I think about getting a full-size M&P 2.0 9mm or a Beretta M9. But for what i use them for i think any will do.

I dont shoot the .45 any less due to ammo cost.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-15-19 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm no one important but I think people put too much energy and emotion into calibers. Pick a modern service caliber and go. The main reason I stick with 9 is price and size of guns chambered in that. If all prices were equal I'd be just as happy with 45, 45GAP, 40SW, 357sig. I always kinda like the 40sw and if I could find a decent used older 229 from the 90s in 40 I'd buy it and a 357sig barrel.

Back in the immediate post Soviet days of Eastern Europe there were gangs everywhere. My mom's cousin got involved with one and was witness to a shooting in Kiev. 3 gang members came up to a rival member who he was hanging out with. Words were exchanged and this guy dropped all 3 with a 6.35mm handgun (25acp). All 3 dropped where they stood and didn't get up. No one was thinking ballistics, ammo selection, barrel length, split times, night sights...etc.....just point and shoot. Meanwhile, maybe a decade ago NYPD shot a guy 25 times at close range and he lived

I don't think I'd be comfortable carrying a 25acp but so much goes into a shooting that's beyond our control that in my opinion one should buy something they can afford in a modern service caliber and rock on

Feedback Score
    I say why use a "service / duty / military" pistol caliber when you are none of those while carrying?

I enjoy my smallish pistol that while still holding a decent number of rounds has less recoil and report than a 9mm. I know it won't do as well through buildings and auto's and such but that's more likely to be a good thing than a bad thing for non-duty carry.

Sounds like another discussion though, maybe I'll start one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I do wonder why everything is so carbine centric these days - Instagram, training, marketing, forums, etc. It's 90% carbines over pistols, when the potential use case is the inverse. I'm speaking specifically of the majority of shooters being non-LE.
    Cyclical. Also, user/demographic and venue specific. There isn't as much carbine-centric right not as there has been. Most new-class offerings and emerging instructors are doing more handgun than long gun.

Some folks have always had it right... fitness, physical skills, bladecraft and expedients, then handguns, but they are a minority.

Almost everyone can pass reasonable standards with a carbine, and go extended periods with less skill maintenance. Handguns are unforgiving and remind you that you suck out loud. Some can't handle that.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I say why use a "service / duty / military" pistol caliber when you are none of those while carrying?
    Because the idea is to carry the best that you can comfortably conceal and shoot which has been thoroughly tested.

I can comfortably conceal a G19 all year. It's not visible and I don't know it's there. A G17 is just long enough that it starts to print a little in the summer. Whereas pocket guns are more of a convenience. They're often slow(er) to draw, harder to practice with and more costly to do so while at the same time being less comfortable to hold. I'm not going to take a class using a pocket 32 and if I'm not training with it why am I carrying it?

I do carry a Ruger LCP380 but it's very very rarely, when I can't conceal a larger size gun. I understand it's limitations but at this point it's better than nothing. Usually it's when I have to wear restrictive clothing and the only option is pocket or ankle carry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Honestly .45 ACP was the first duty load I was ever formally trained on and for half a decade was all I knew before I was allowed to “branch out”.

It just made sense because I had no other context. I’m not besmirching 9mm but sometimes I think people go too far the other way thinking .45 is fuddlore.

It’s my comfort caliber insofar that I just have more time behind it.

I have more thoughts but am too tired tight now to build a thesis around it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Because the idea is to carry the best that you can comfortably conceal and shoot which has been thoroughly tested.

I can comfortably conceal a G19 all year. It's not visible and I don't know it's there. A G17 is just long enough that it starts to print a little in the summer. Whereas pocket guns are more of a convenience. They're often slow(er) to draw, harder to practice with and more costly to do so while at the same time being less comfortable to hold. I'm not going to take a class using a pocket 32 and if I'm not training with it why am I carrying it?
    That is true with smaller / pocket guns.

But If one still does the training and practice the fruit of that labor is the pleasure (at least not displeasure) of carrying a smaller, lighter gun with confidence.

My EDC of a G19 lasted 9 years. I'm only willing to carry a gun that size in the cooler weeks. (FL)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Firefly, My EDC is a G19, or a G43 if t-shirt and shorts weather. Over the years I've carried 357Mag, 9mm, 40S&W, 357Sig and 45ACP. With the new bullet technologies, 9mm is a good choice for me. I no longer carry professionally but I take it seriously and I try to shoot at minimum once per month, but sometimes I shoot every week. I usually shoot 250 rounds per session sometimes more. With 15 + 1 in my 19 and a spare mag, I don't feel under gunned. I do feel undergunned with the 43's capacity so I have a +1 extension on the primary mag and a + 2 extension on the spare. (I recently picked up a 365 and I'm in the process of vetting it now.)

ETA: I think that training and basic marksmanship are more of a core issue here than one caliber vs another.
    Last edited by 556BlackRifle; 06-15-19 at 11:07.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Firefly, My EDC is a G19, or a G43 if t-shirt and shorts weather. Over the years I've carried 357Mag, 9mm, 40S&W, 357Sig and 45ACP. With the new bullet technologies, 9mm is a good choice for me. I no longer carry professionally but I take it seriously and I try to shoot at minimum once per month, but sometimes I shoot every week. I usually shoot 250 rounds per session sometimes more. With 15 + 1 in my 19 and a spare mag, I don't feel under gunned. I do feel undergunned with the 43's capacity so I have a +1 extension on the primary mag and a + 2 extension on the spare. (I recently picked up a 365 and I'm in the process of vetting it now.)

ETA: I think that training and basic marksmanship are more of a core issue here than one caliber vs another.
    Try a G43X. Extra capacity without the compromise of mag extensions, along with a more positive master grip at the holster.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Try a G43X. Extra capacity without the compromise of mag extensions, along with a more positive master grip at the holster.
    I tried the 43x and I like the grip width however, it's not significantly better than my G19 (butt wise) so it's kind of moot. The deal breaker for me is the slide finish. I strongly dislike a bright silver finish on a combat weapon.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast