Thread: New BRN-601

Feedback Score

New BRN-601

Looks like the original "lime green" furniture has been superseded by this light Olive Drab color. Probably still not 100% accurate but better than it used to be. Sling in the picture is an EBay-sourced M1 cotton repro.

The sling swivels have a rubberized coating on them. Makes sense to deaden the sound of a metal clip, but I wasn't aware the original 601 had that feature

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The original Colt Model 601 did not have coated sling swivels and the Model 602 did not have them either. Coated sling swivels began showing up on the D type stocks which were used on the Model 603s (XM16E1 and pre-1971 M16A1s), Model 604s, Model 605s, and Model 651/652s.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    IMHO that green looks like the OD “ArmaLite green” as I call it. Far much better color than before. It’s an interesting model to have IMHO.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your best bet it to buy the BROWN furniture, and then paint it green like originals.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossarmament View Post
    Your best bet it to buy the BROWN furniture, and then paint it green like originals.
    I bought the brown furniture for that very reason. Figuring as the green paint wore, it would expose the brown underneath like you see with a lot of worn original sets of 601 furniture.
    My 601 clone plans kind of stalled though. Got a fair amount of the parts but not all of them. Not sure when I'll get around to finishing it.

Feedback Score
    This goes under the FWIW file ... “possibly quite relative”;

I recall within this past year Magpul offered some special “sand” colored pieces for dyeing and namely using the liquid Ritz clothing dye. I’m wondering if we were to take some of the current funk green 601 furniture and dye it with some liquid Ritz dye in dark green how it would turn out?

If anyone has tried this dyeing process with anything that is plastic or fiberglass gun parts please let us know as I am curious as to how this works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossarmament View Post
    What type of paint do you suggest?

Would you consider using Duracoat?